SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum:

I found this article about the 9-5 at a local Saab tuning company. it doesnt answer the question you set but may give you some other information..

A Common problem on 3 year old or older turbo models is indifferent or varying boost pressure. Owners often report their vehicles performance levels changing on a day to day basis.

This is invariably due to faulty operation of the 3 way APC boost pressure control valve. This can be replaced with a new SAAB unit (Approx. £100/$140) or replaced with our billet aluminum manual valve. The manual valve offers more reliable and responsive control of the turbocharger, so that the boost pressure can be set to a constant, within limits, by the owner.

Operation of the APC system is slightly impaired, but overboost protection remains as a safeguard for the engine. Once the desired boost pressure is set, the adjustment wheel can be locked with a grub-screw to prevent invoulentary adjustment. This valve is manufactured from high quality aluminum and is anodised.

Finn :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SlaabSaab said:
Will a manual boost control increase boost pressure and HorsePower with a LPT engine??
The Trionic 7 engine management system is very complex, there's no way I'd recommend adding a manual boost control :nono;

Software and Hardware upgrading are they ways forward ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Agreed 100%. MBC's are designed to keep the wastegate shut when the ECU would normally tell it to open. This is risky business in such a high boost application.

X

·
0 Posts
SlaabSaab said:
Are there any sowftware/hardware upgrades that aren't gunna cost some big bucks?
Regretably Slaab as already mentioned your Saab management system is a complicated beast and there is no cheap fix to make your car go faster. Parts for Saab CLICK HERE have some good deals on software upgrades as a starting point. There are other companies who supply this sort of software, have a look through the threads in this forum there is plenty of information. I noticed on eBay UK that some companies are selling 20bhp upgrade mods for Saabs at only a few $. Whatever you do dont be tempted they will ruin your car and thats no joke.

You would be better to spend your cash on some nice new oil and plugs and start saving for the real stuff... Good luck

Finn :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Touching on plugs....It's amazing how much improvement you can find with a new set of plugs in these cars! I replace mine every 6 months. The BSR PPC is the quickest, cheapest and simplest ECU upgrade available. I got mine from Parts for Saabs shipped over the pond in less than a week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If i use manual boost controler to lift only 0.3bar pressure a original turbo, could it give more power? When I chipped my 9-5 2.3t 170hp, they put on the max chip + -250hp and said it was tuned for a larger turbine as well

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Assuming you are talking about your 2.3t T7 car, the system monitors boost pressure and expects it to respond as commanded. It will not be happy seeing more boost than it expects or has commanded. I would think that at the very least you will get a check engine light. And the system may put you back to base boost which is no fun at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Assuming you are talking about your 2.3t T7 car, the system monitors boost pressure and expects it to respond as commanded. It will not be happy seeing more boost than it expects or has commanded. I would think that at the very least you will get a check engine light. And the system may put you back to base boost which is no fun at all.
I had completely disconnected the wastegate regulator and the turbine was blowing always full boost but the overpressure was not and did not light up the check engine

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
I had completely disconnected the wastegate regulator and the turbine was blowing always full boost but the overpressure was not and did not light up the check engine
I can not tell what exactly is going on with your car. I do know that when the wastegate was seized closed on my stock T7 2.3t, the car would boost strongly, then the light would come on and the turbo needle would barely enter the orange zone until the code was erased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can not tell what exactly is going on with your car. I do know that when the wastegate was seized closed on my stock T7 2.3t, the car would boost strongly, then the light would come on and the turbo needle would barely enter the orange zone until the code was erased.
Well i have already adjusted for a bigger boost, so i think i can raise the boost for the existing turbine without putting a bigger turbine

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
If you have "adjusted for a bigger boost", then the tune would give you bigger boost without further fiddling with an MBC. Talk to your tuner.

You should also review the purpose behind computer-controlled wastegates, and what a tune does to those controls. At this point, it seems that you are more arguing with us than trying to learn how the system works. (It becomes obvious why one should not use a MBC on a T5/T7 system.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have "adjusted for a bigger boost", then the tune would give you bigger boost without further fiddling with an MBC. Talk to your tuner.

You should also review the purpose behind computer-controlled wastegates, and what a tune does to those controls. At this point, it seems that you are more arguing with us than trying to learn how the system works. (It becomes obvious why one should not use a MBC on a T5/T7 system.)
i'm just trying to figure out how to get more power without investing much money. And how many psi can i increase, which would only be better?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Higher boost doesn't always mean more power. Adjust the wastegate to original setting and get your ecu re-map from a reputable tuner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts