SaabCentral Forums banner

Bolt size to mount clutch side of block to an engine stand

158 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  KevinC
1993 b234r 5 speed aero

trying to mount the block to a stand. What sizes are the bolts? So far i have 12m x ? x 70mm for the top two, and 10m x ? x whatever (with a nut) for the non threaded bottom holes. Does anyone know the thread size for those both? I've asked groups on Facebook and that all the info they dug up. Thanks in advance.

If it helps, i have a 2 ton Pittsburg engine stand. Bought from harbor freight.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Pretty sure the bell housing bolts are M12x1.75. It's been quite a while since I did the engine rebuild. I got a selection of lengths from HomeDepot and ended up using something around 70-80mm with washers for spacers. You'll need at least a 70mm for the HFT stand with the stand-offs that are welded onto the mounting arms.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did try 1.75 for the top and they're too big, so they must be 1.50 or 1.25, ill try all the sizes. but definitely will use 1.75 for the bottom. Also, I mount it on the clutch side yes? my brother said any hole will work, but I dont trust any other spot than the trans side.

This is my first project car, and I'll say I picked the biggest project i could've done lol.

· Registered
1,869 Posts
I always use the transmission side since timing bits are on the other end. You may have to use a sling or transmission stand briefly to get the mounting plate off of the end of the block. I highly recommend you do that and clean up/treat rust in the cavities behind the bell housing mounting plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts