SaabCentral Forums banner
141 - 160 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maybe 18 years ago, I "fixed" my turbo inlet pipe. It was cracked at both ends along the seam and on this one end the crack traveled off to the side. I had heard that it isn't possible to glue polypropylene or polyethylene, so I scuffed the surface to get some sort of mechanical bond. I also applied fiberglass (?) window screen to reinforce those cracked areas. I used some sort of epoxy - I forget what brand. Years later, I found an '85 Turbo in the junkyard with only 50K on it and bought that pipe to use. I was surprised that the glued pipe held together all that time.

Wood Writing implement Material property Natural material Tints and shades

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
For years and years I've meant to have a few made in aluminum, but I've never managed to actually get it done. Every time it's come up I've managed a workaround, so I've never been made to finish... seems like this pass is no different. ;)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I feel like every c900 I've ever bought has needed a radiator ... they're usually plugged up with neglected coolant, sometimes they've even gotten to the point of leaking. Since the cooling system in this car is fully replaced, it would have made zero sense to continue with the old radiator. Plus, I really like new radiators ... and it seems I am not alone.

This is pretty much the last "standard" thing going on here... the engine is back together.

I had actually planned on filling fluids this weekend, but I started thinking... I gotta replace the instrument cluster (for VSS) and do some wiring in there, and I'm thinking I'd be an idiot if I didn't replace the heater control valve at the same time. So, I guess it'll just keeping sitting dry for a while. C'est la vie!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I feel like every c900 I've ever bought has needed a radiator ... they're usually plugged up with neglected coolant, sometimes they've even gotten to the point of leaking. Since the cooling system in this car is fully replaced, it would have made zero sense to continue with the old radiator. Plus, I really like new radiators ... and it seems I am not alone.

This is pretty much the last "standard" thing going on here... the engine is back together.

I had actually planned on filling fluids this weekend, but I started thinking... I gotta replace the instrument cluster (for VSS) and do some wiring in there, and I'm thinking I'd be an idiot if I didn't replace the heater control valve at the same time. So, I guess it'll just keeping sitting dry for a while. C'est la vie!
Nice . My cat checks out every new part and car that hits the shed as well , you need to get a labrador , Then you can get cat scans and a lab report....

·
Registered
116 Posts
On my big, expensive engine I always install a coolant filter if it didn't come with one. On some engine that I have bought used, it will plug the 1st two filters before that start to last the service interval. I haven't put one on my Saab, at least not yet, but they do help and work for anything you plan on keeping a long time. Nothing like opening an engine and seeing clean water passages.
They are a bypass type filter and the logical place for one would be the hose from the radiator back to the coolant tank, or at least that would be the easiest to install. They don't take a lot of flow.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
I don't think there is anywhere to put anything like that on a Saab... It's pretty packed on the left side of the engine bay.

I've found that properly maintained the system works right... Use good coolant, use distilled water, change every 2 or 5 years and the system will work as new forever. Really, that's the story of the c900 in general... Follow the rules and the car will keep doing it's thing. I mean, this car has nearly 500,000 miles on it and it's bone stock.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I like these. One in the coolant and another kind bolted next to that green ground point near the radiator. Did you notice that's always where old radiators start leaking?
Thay're dirt-cheap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ideally you would take the coolant from the block drain on the right side and return to the suction side of the pump.
There is a reason why you don't often see them on engines that don't run millions of miles, as the vehicle they are in often quit before the block. I know the Saab does have some coolant passage issues, so might be worth it.
With a small cooling system you use the plain filter and add any additive in liquid form.
They remove any abrasives (rust, casting sand etc) that might be in the coolant.
Nothing like opening an engine after 1.5 million and have it look like new in the cooling jacket.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Got a couple more things done today.... or at least tentatively done. First, I think the PCV system is solved:

The aluminum fitting on the delivery pipe works great, and it's sealed in there with Reinzosil... hopefully thoroughly. :) The barb on the fitting and on the valve cover nipple have Aeroquip pushlok hose which is a nice fit an immune to everything. In the middle is nylon fuel line with a 3/'8" ID. It's been molded into a somewhat complex shape to run between the two. Theoretically it will last a very long time.

I also made a bracket to mount a 9-5 power steering bottle to the RF shock tower.

I need to do something aesthetically - the bare aluminum bracket and gold hardware is an eyesore, but I think it will work great. I have slight concerns about exhaust heat, but the c900 engine bay isn't exactly airtight so I think it will be okay. If it becomes necessary, I can add a heat shield to the bottle or wrap around the hoses. I don't think it will come to that.... the pump itself is right under the exhaust anyway. (On the race car, we mounted a little tube & fin cooler for the power steering in this exact spot and it worked great)

I've the engine bay AC things to work on next... then the interior comes apart. Weeee.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
This is a sad state of affairs.

Not one of these has a functional WOT range.

Seems Bosch no longer makes the TPS, either... leaving only the aftermarket.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
So much for the throttle body heater!

I think this weekend I will start taking the interior apart so I can deal with LH 2.4 wiring, speedo/VSS, heater control valve, probably some vacuum hoses and probably some miscellaneous wiring. I still have the AC system to handle up front, but that isn't necessary to at least run the car.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Nothing like quality ProParts parts to finish a job...

Yeah, that's right, the left hand sway bar end link is painted and the right side is not. Super.

I hate ProParts.

But, that's in the past. I tightened up the ball joints, torqued down the axle nuts, and put it back on the ground. Even pushed it a few feet. :p

I'm saving the brakes til it's ready to drive... no point in getting the rotors all rusty sitting around.

This weekend I'll start dismantling the dashboard!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Now that the engine bay is back together, I figured something else should come apart....

It all fits nicely back here...

During this process I found this... it seems familiar, but I can't place it. Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I don't think that's it... That clip is much larger and u-shaped. The ID on this thing is 10mm, much too small for a lock cylinder.

141 - 160 of 206 Posts