SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another driver backed into my beloved 2008 Aero SC on Thursday, and damaged the RR door, quarter panel, and bumper. Initial damage estimate is $6,400! The other driver's insurance has accepted liability. Whew! Appears I need (at minimum) door or door skin, and quarter panel. Does any one know whether these are available and how hard they are to obtain? Is it possible that other GM parts (Malibu, G6, Cobalt) would fit?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've seen people have issue finding headlights for your model... so it might be a bit difficult. You might have to search the junk yards, etc

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went through this a few months ago for my 07. Very difficult to find a hood for mine. Headlights were not a problem. The insurance company ended up finding everything I needed but it took a while to get it all. I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks just to get the hood.

Any parts they could not get from the dealer they got from a junk yard. They found a place in California that had all the parts. I have it bookmarked but I am at work. I can get it for you if you need it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kev. Who was the insurance company you dealt with? I'm hopeful that the Saab Parts organization is now a little more robust. Maybe it won't be an issue. The other driver's insurance company - Selective of SC - told me that they'd had trouble with Saabs and that it was an industry-wide problem.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
When is the parts plant in Michigan supposed to open? A couple weeks ago they said about a month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
RhodyDave

I have Travelers insurance. They were really good for me. It took a lot longer to fix the car than they had planned about 6 weeks, but we were able to get all the parts we needed. Little work from me but they still did the majority of parts hunting.

I told them up front that I wanted the car fixed, I did not want to get rid of it. My damage was mostly cosmetic with the hood all crinkled up. But the total bill was just under $8000. Way more than I would have guessed. When they were first having issues getting parts they did consider totaling it. With my Jeep I have some experience getting parts so I told them I would start looking and they worked with me from there.

This happened in the beginning of March. Parts were very hard to find then, hopefully it is better now.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Met with the adjuster and the body shop guy this AM. They generally agreed on the damage estimate. The adjuster said he would search nationwide for parts, maybe from a salvage yard. Fingers crossed. I don't plan to get it repaired until mid-August when I'll be out of the country for two weeks and won't miss the car. Heck, it works perfectly well. The door opens and closes and the window even works.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
All parts should be available soon since on June 1 a new parts organization was formed for NA. Also Saab Parts in Sweden has started to make body panels etc. Parts for the 9-3 SS/SC should be relatively easy to get. Now a new 9-5, don't know about that:eek:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - Adjuster and body shop say parts readily available from salvage yard, notwithstanding the rarity of SCs. Apparently the door fits both SS & SC.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you find a match from salvage, consider yourself lucky. At the dealer today waiting on my brakes, wrecker brought in a 2009 9-3 with the driver's side bashed in with both side air bags deployed. I was talking to the Techs, and they said it'll probably be totaled for lack of doors.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OH sigh this gives me anxiety... well sort of.

I got rear-ended by a Harley going 35mph on Tuesday and I need a whole new bumper, tail lights, and possibly rear quarter pannel. I have an 07 so I have a whole lot more options than the 08+ models but still... dang. My insurance company waived all fees and deductibles because it wasn't my fault, and thank god they did because otherwise this would be costly...very very costly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts