SaabCentral Forums banner

Body panel gap help!

1075 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  HunterTK957
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2002 9-5 Aero (Clean title and never wrecked) and there's a strange panel gap that's between the hood, fender and front bumper (pictures attached) if anyone has had this issue or anyone knows how to fix it let me know.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,959 Posts
When the bonnet is closed/latched, can you push down on the left side and get more free play than the right? If so try adjusting the left side bonnet catch. Is the panel gap similar up at the hinge corner?

Bonnet = hood!

· Registered
2008 Saab 9-5 Aero
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the bonnet is closed/latched, can you push down on the left side and get more free play than the right? If so try adjusting the left side bonnet catch. Is the panel gap similar up at the hinge corner?

Bonnet = hood!
Yeah you can move the hood up and down closer to the headlight, near the hinge its the normal height from the fender.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
A car with shoddy panel gaps = collision damage & repaired. If the repair wasn’t through insurance then it doesn’t show up in any record. Usually you can adjust the hood a bit via the bolts on the latches to adjust the panel gap evenly on all sides. As far the the bumper look to make sure you aren’t missing any of the small metal/plastic screws

· Registered
2008 Saab 9-5 Aero
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A car with shoddy panel gaps = collision damage & repaired. If the repair wasn’t through insurance then it doesn’t show up in any record. Usually you can adjust the hood a bit via the bolts on the latches to adjust the panel gap evenly on all sides. As far the the bumper look to make sure you aren’t missing any of the small metal/plastic screws
Nothing is missing on the bumper and it seriously doesn't look like there's any crash damage underneath. The car only had 4000 miles put on it in the past 4 years so I wouldn't assume there to be any either. I think the probably cause is the bumper and fender came off at some point and weren't re mounted properly, but that still doesn't explain the hood alignment issue.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
Nothing is missing on the bumper and it seriously doesn't look like there's any crash damage underneath. The car only had 4000 miles put on it in the past 4 years so I wouldn't assume there to be any either. I think the probably cause is the bumper and fender came off at some point and weren't re mounted properly, but that still doesn't explain the hood alignment issue.
Multiple body panels misaligned means an accident. It’s not a big deal, likely a minor accident if you have no obvious signs of repair...things just need to be adjusted properly & you’re good to go. The rubber parts will adjust the hood alignment in the north/south direction but your pic looks like the hood may need to be moved forward (towards the front bumper) slightly, although it’s hard to tell from the angle of the pic.

FWIW everything that you are describing are the signs of cosmetic crash damage. (Fender/bumper/hood damage are a pretty classic trio). A car fax is nice but very far from definitive. If someone disclosed removing body panels to either install a body kit or repaint the car that would be different, otherwise it is what it is. On the bright side, you have no major unreported damage so again, no big deal.

· Registered
2008 Saab 9-5 Aero
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures aren't loading (may be my bandwidth). There are two adjustable hood stops on each side. They are black plastic. Do you have these and have you adjusted them? Number 19.

View attachment 279816
Hood stops are there and I haven't touched them, I'm hopefully going to be able to take a good look at it later today.

· Registered
2008 Saab 9-5 Aero
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Multiple body panels misaligned means an accident. It’s not a big deal, likely a minor accident if you have no obvious signs of repair...things just need to be adjusted properly & you’re good to go. The rubber parts will adjust the hood alignment in the north/south direction but your pic looks like the hood may need to be moved forward (towards the front bumper) slightly, although it’s hard to tell from the angle of the pic.

FWIW everything that you are describing are the signs of cosmetic crash damage. (Fender/bumper/hood damage are a pretty classic trio). A car fax is nice but very far from definitive. If someone disclosed removing body panels to either install a body kit or repaint the car that would be different, otherwise it is what it is. On the bright side, you have no major unreported damage so again, no big deal.
yeah I agree car faxes don't always show everything, if you would like a picture at a better angle or anything I can get that to you if necessary(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.