SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Beautiful 2002 9-3 Convertible with a turnsignal problem that I thought was a simple fix. Dealer says I need a DICE, or Body control Module for $!000. First where is the module? Does anyone repair them? I at least want to look at it and see if it can be repaired. So Far I have checked all bulbs and used dielectric gel. I have diconnected OnStar and signals work more often but still not reliable. any suggestions. I live in Vancouver BC Canada

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Dice is above the under dash relay panel, just about inline with the top of the fuse panel there at the side of the dash.

Honestly, I'd more suspect the turn signal lever than the DICE.

If it is the DICE, it's NOT a plug and play item -- it'd have to be programmed into the car with a Tech 2 unit. Install an "alien" DICE and the car won't start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Info. The lower dash lights and interior lighting intermittently either flash at a regular rhythm like turn signals or go off comlpetely. They sometimes work normally. Switching the headlights to high beam or applying brakes can turnsignals working. I also have a fault with the light control relay so the left hightbeam doesn't work. I am not sure this is all connected or not, I did take car to a dealer and they said it was dice. I will check out the Turn signal lever although it has many functions and I think it will fly into 100 pieces if I try to disassemble it. I need a different unit to plug in. I know dice needs programming but who repairs them? I enjoy the challenge but this may be too complicated for me. I may just wire in a Flasher and bypass the Dice. Ed

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
I wouldn't try to go the manual route in a Saab. If you really do have a bad DICE, you will have other problems that may eventually leave you stranded.

Why not get a DICE unit at a junkyard, or on Ebay, and then have it programmed in by the dealer or an indy? They don't sell for all that much.

You can do the same for the turn signal level to start with - ebay/junkyard. You can install it yourself - Disconnect the battery. Pull the steering wheel all the way out. Remove the two screws that hold the two shroud halves together. Then carefully separate them, they have little clips along the edges that meet. The turn signal switch can be pulled out by squeezing the two clips together that hold it in at the top and bottom. Aside from the five extra minutes you will spend puzzlilng over how the shroud fits together, it's a ten minute job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am going to try you approach. Thanks for the advice. Emergency flashers do the same intermittent dance. I have taken turn signal switch out and taken whole dash apart. I need to put it back together soon or wife may divorce me. Ed

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
Just note that you have to drive the car with the old DICE, then swap the new one at the dealer/mechanic that has the tech II to set up the new one to be recognized by the car.

The DICE does have to know the type of car (convertible, sedan) and it has to be matched to the TWICE and ECU, so there's a little programming they do with the Tech II.

I looked at the part numbers and I see that they used different units in almost every year, but they all cross over to the same new number. So chances are you can use one from almost any 9-3. There's no absolute guarantee that they are backwards compatible i.e. that a unit from a '99 can be forward programmed for a 2002 - it's possible that the newer releases were simply made to also work with the older cars. But, my money would be on any 9-3 DICE working. If you want to play it extra safe, a unit form a 2002 or 2003 convertible (only 'vert in '03) would work.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Thanks for the Info. The lower dash lights and interior lighting intermittently either flash at a regular rhythm like turn signals or go off comlpetely. They sometimes work normally. Switching the headlights to high beam or applying brakes can turnsignals working. I also have a fault with the light control relay so the left hightbeam doesn't work. I am not sure this is all connected or not, I did take car to a dealer and they said it was dice. I will check out the Turn signal lever although it has many functions and I think it will fly into 100 pieces if I try to disassemble it. I need a different unit to plug in. I know dice needs programming but who repairs them? I enjoy the challenge but this may be too complicated for me. I may just wire in a Flasher and bypass the Dice. Ed
Could be a grounding issue maybe? If trying to get one circuit to work makes some other circuit work oddly, my first suspicion would be bad ground(s).

Wiring in an old-time turn signal is going to be pretty hard if not impossible I suspect, and that's after studying the wiring diagram for a 900 on my part.

I forget which items are controlled by DICE and which by TWICE. Your owner's manual may have a section on this--the '99 9-3 manual does. If all the odd failures are exclusive to one of these modules, then yeah it may be a module issue. But hey, make sure that all the connections to the module are secure.

Also, I would be pretty sure that a pull-your-own junkyard will charge you not very much for either a DICE or TWICE ("electronics modules from an old Saab"). Then find a Tech II to have it programmed in.

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
^ DICE is a lot cheaper at the u-pull when you say "it controls the turn signals" instead of "it runs all the electronics inside the car".

Ground checking is a great idea. There are several grounding points and they are known to sometimes go bad. Someone did a list around here recently... search for "grounding" or "grounds" in this forum in the last six months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am still at it. I agree it might be a ground but I have not found any signs of corrosion at the ground sites I checked. I used a U.K. Haynes manual.
went to a wrecker and swapped turnsignal lever with no effect. The dice had a different part number. I will try some wrecker in the U.S. I am wondering if erasing the memory of the old dice and reprogramming it would work? The dealer said the error code was "Scan and test signals and flashers. Has B1605 internal fault.Needs DICE module and program." How do I find out what a B 1608 fault code means? Ed:roll:

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Well I am still at it. I agree it might be a ground but I have not found any signs of corrosion at the ground sites I checked. I used a U.K. Haynes manual.
went to a wrecker and swapped turnsignal lever with no effect. The dice had a different part number. I will try some wrecker in the U.S. I am wondering if erasing the memory of the old dice and reprogramming it would work? The dealer said the error code was "Scan and test signals and flashers. Has B1605 internal fault.Needs DICE module and program." How do I find out what a B 1608 fault code means? Ed:roll:
Google away. One site says "Illuminated Entry Input Open Circuit". At http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-92156.html it says "B1208 EIC Switch-1 Assembly Circuit Short To Ground"

If your Haynes wiring diagrams synch up with the DICE plug, you could take a multimeter and check that the circuits are behaving as they should (grounds have ground, others aren't grounded, etc.).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Google away. One site says "Illuminated Entry Input Open Circuit". INCOMPREHENSIBLE !! At http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-92156.html it says "B1208 EIC Switch-1 Assembly Circuit Short To Ground" Why cannot these people use plain , uncomplicated English ???

If your Haynes wiring diagrams synch up with the DICE plug, you could take a multimeter and check that the circuits are behaving as they should (grounds have ground, others aren't grounded, etc.).
I doubt if the problem is caused by a "no-ground". The ground connections are high quality , but the rears (E2) can corrode, then we have bigger problems such as rust, a leaking hatch, mildew, stains, odors, body rust - where the shocks mount...
BBC may repair the ICE..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news Just installed dice from a 1999 9-3 convert and almost everything works without reprogramming.. Cost $200. Just need to get Radio married to Dice or otherwise unlocked and reset airbag. Thanks to everyone for all the help Ed;ol;

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went back to wrecker and got radio out of car that donated dice and solved problem. Simple solution. Coast Import Auto SupplyAddress: 11880 Mitchell Rd,
Richmond BC, V6V 1T7 They have a few 9-3's and others. They deserve a plug for being so helpful

1 - 16 of 16 Posts