SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last 3 years been driving a 2005 525, it's been a good car but I need to scale back on expenses and after shopping the market for a long while it came down to a WRX or a 9-3. The WRX was fast and fun but I would have taken a serious hit on the bells and whistles, so I opted for the 9-3.

Had the 9-3 for a week now and I am dying to get the miles up over the break in period so I can start punching the gas here and their. Good fun to drive and really enjoying troving the saabcentral forums hearing peoples feedback and finding out all the fun things I can do to the car.

One thing I can see that I will probably like to do eventually is hook up that PPC gadget for tuning it up a bit. I noticed that it calls for 93+ octane fuel and that is tough to find around here. How required is the improved octane to use this tuning device? Will I just see a bit less performance if I go with 91 octane or will I run into serious problems?

The forums have already proven to be a great source of information and the community seems pretty cool. Thanks in advance for your input.

Oh, almost forgot, the car is a 2008 9-3 Titan Grey w/Nav. Had the windows tinted already, the car is very slick looking already but I can't wait to get addicted to modding it out with stuffs.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central.... You do know all the new members are required to post pics of their cars, right? :cheesy: Especially the new 2008!

Pertaining to the PPC, I believe some people have run into engine issues when not running 93 octane... its somewhere on the forum here

If you don't beat on it when running less than 93, you may be able to get away with it... but the 93 octane will help your engine warn off pre-detination, which can cause serious issues.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
mbodo was I believe the only member who had issues with the BSR because he used lower octane rating. He was on stage 3 though. If I remember correctly some members do use lower octane rating with no reported problems.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
BSR stage 1 will run fine with 91, you won't have all power that you would with 93, but it is still noticeable. I am unsure how much the difference is between 91 and 93 though HP wise.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Diggs said:
BSR stage 1 will run fine with 91, you won't have all power that you would with 93, but it is still noticeable. I am unsure how much the difference is between 91 and 93 though HP wise.
I think you're correct.

BSR has to realize that several Western and some Midwestern states only offer 91 octane.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
But thats the beauty of the PPC

You can tune or detune the car at a whim. So if you don't plan on flooring it over the course of the week you can detune to run on the "el cheapo" 87 octane and then tune the car for the weekend and run on 93 while beating the engine/tranny/tires to death :cheesy:

Its a win/win situation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. We do have some stations with 93 and 100 but they are very far and few between. Closest one to me is about 25 miles away and isn't on the way to/from anything I visit... I'll probably wait this mod out at least until I hear of more folks doing it to the 2008 models, especially since it would be my first time using this device.

·
Registered
272 Posts
cavedudejeff said:
But thats the beauty of the PPC

You can tune or detune the car at a whim. So if you don't plan on flooring it over the course of the week you can detune to run on the "el cheapo" 87 octane and then tune the car for the weekend and run on 93 while beating the engine/tranny/tires to death :cheesy:

Its a win/win situation
Not from what I hear. I was super interested in PPC until I called that parts supplier in TX (ads on this forum, cant remember his name) I asked about tuning /detuning for service visits, and he told me it is not recommended.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is more or less impossible to meet California emissions regulations at anything more than 91 octane. That's why pretty much the most you can get there is 91.

I wouldn't go with a reflash that requires 93 when you can only get 91. You're paying for HP that you're not getting.

Car and Driver did an article about 5 years ago, running various cars that called for premium gas on regular. They dynotested the cars to see what would happen. The 9-5 they tested lost 15% of its horsepower when they ran 87 instead of 91.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts