SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an issue with the bluetooth on my 2009 9-3. It started after about a year of owning it. The bluetooth function worked great at first. What I've noticed now is that when I start my car it never maintains the pairing after the car is turned off and I have to reinitiate the bluetooth sync process every time I turn the car on again. After this, it will work great while the car is on only to be lost again once the car is turned of. What's really annoying is that even though it loses the pairing, my car remembers all of the voice-recorded names I've ever saved when pairing. So each time, I spend about 5 minutes trying to find a new name to give my phone while the car repeatedly tells me I already have that name saved (I'd be lying if I said the list of names for my phone isn't loaded with profanity at this point).

I've kind of learned to live with the issue because I don't live that close to a dealership so it's a bit of a pain to get work done with my warranty. Now that my warranty is coming close to an end, I'd like to get it fixed it. I've read a couple threads that seem to be related to my issue but I was wondering two things:

1) Has anyone had this issue fixed at any dealer in GA(I'm about equidistant from the two in Atlanta and one in Columbus, GA)? If I can find a place that's familiar with the issue that'd be great.
2) If not, could you please describe in as much detail as possible what you know to be the fix for this issue so that I can convince the people at the service department that this is a fairly common issue with a known solution?

I've tried to vaguely refer to the fact that I think my car needs a new Onstar unit to the Saab dealer I go to in Atlanta fo service but they play dumb and state that they are unaware of the issue and are giving me difficulty with trying to honor my warranty for this issue. Lastly, if a place is trying to deny looking at an issue when my car is under warranty, do I have anything I can do to force their hand or should I just try to see if other supported dealerships (not many of these left) can help?

Thanks a bunch,

-Daniel

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How do you know it's your car and not the phone? Have you been using the same phone since the issue started happening? Have you tried pairing any other phones to see if they work any better?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good suggestion but I've tried 3 different phones and had the same issue. I've also had success using a standard bluetooth earpiece with my primary phone so I don't think the phone has a defective bluetooth chip. I wish that was the issue...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Same Issue

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just purchased an '09 and I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
How many phones have you got paired with the car? Our 2009 Vector I find will not pair with my phone automatically sometimes even though it is still listed on the system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just purchased an '09 and I'm experiencing the exact same problem.
I have not resolved this issue. I have checked a bunch of forums online and, from what I've learned, it can be fixed with a completely new Onstar module. Apparently the Onstar chip is a replaceable unit that also takes care of the bluetooth functionality. From what I understand, this is a fairly expensive unit ($500-$1000). I bought my 09' 93 in Jan 2010 so I actually have another year on my warranty but, as many of you in my boat probably know, it's near impossible to find a good dealer in any area to fix problems. The dealer (Jim Ellis) I went to in Atlanta said that this unit is on indefinite backorder and basically said I was out of luck. Pretty disappointing since I'm still under warranty and I've had this issue since about 6 months into owning the car. This was about 6 months ago and I have since given up. I plan on trying once more before my warranty goes out next year but don't expect any pleasant surprises.

If your car still has a warranty, you can try calling the GM Saab warranty hotline (855-880-0808) and see if they can find a dealer in your area that will honor the warranty. You can then see if that place will work with you on this issue. If you have any luck, I'd be interesting in hearing about it.

Also, another option worth considering is an aftermarket bluetooth unit although I know it's annoying to have to pay for something like this when your car is supposed to provide this functionality with better quality on it's own. I think Belkin makes a good unit for < $100. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bluetooth

Thanks for the info. I've concidered an aftermarket unit. I'm thinking of installing a Pioneer AVIC unit with bluetooth, so that would solve my problems and give me more functionality. But I was also considering installing a factory Nav unit. It would be nice to get the issue resolved.

·
Super Moderator
9,815 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen to my 2009 9-3 Sedan. The fix was an updated OnStar unit (the physical unit in the trunk, not a software update). My dealer did it for me under warranty within 2 months of buying my car. Go to a dealer and they'll sort it out for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're right that the dealer should be able to fix this. My issue has been that my dealer claims to not be able to obtain this part. I bought my car in Jan 2010 but just realized that my warranty may no longer be good.

Does anyone here know the exact terms of the 2009 9-3 warranty? I know the powertrain was 4 years/50k miles but I'm not sure what the bumper-to-bumper terms were. I'm guessing this unit would go under the bumper-to-bumper category. I'm worried that my dealer may have delayed me with BS excuses until my warranty is up and now I'm SOL.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in GA and willing to drive to any dealer within 200 miles or so if any of you have experience with a good one.

·
Super Moderator
9,815 Posts
I think you're right that the dealer should be able to fix this. My issue has been that my dealer claims to not be able to obtain this part. I bought my car in Jan 2010 but just realized that my warranty may no longer be good.

Does anyone here know the exact terms of the 2009 9-3 warranty? I know the powertrain was 4 years/50k miles but I'm not sure what the bumper-to-bumper terms were. I'm guessing this unit would go under the bumper-to-bumper category. I'm worried that my dealer may have delayed me with BS excuses until my warranty is up and now I'm SOL.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in GA and willing to drive to any dealer within 200 miles or so if any of you have experience with a good one.

I bought my 2009 in January 2010 as well. You should DEFINITELY still be covered, provided your car has less than 50K on it. This was a factory recall! There's no reason why they can't do this under warranty. Try a different dealership. No need to give a difficult dealership business. PM me if you want to chat more, I can try and help.

By the way, your warranty ends at 50K miles or 4 yrs, whichever comes first. For both of us, that's January 2014!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my 2009 in January 2010 as well. You should DEFINITELY still be covered, provided your car has less than 50K on it. This was a factory recall! There's no reason why they can't do this under warranty. Try a different dealership. No need to give a difficult dealership business. PM me if you want to chat more, I can try and help.

By the way, your warranty ends at 50K miles or 4 yrs, whichever comes first. For both of us, that's January 2014!
Thanks for the advice. And yes, I'm under 50k miles (~32k to be exact). But isn't the "bumper-to-bumper" portion of the warranty just 3 year/36k miles? This would be dead for both of us. The problem isn't with the powertrain so I don't know if they'd help me. This sucks because I did pursue this heavily while I was under warranty and got beat down by excuses so I gave up and now the warranty might be expired.

Was there really a factory recall on this part? Is there any website that confirms this? I would think this would probably override any concerns about a warranty if this is the case.

I will call the dealer I worked with before about 4 months back and see what they say though. One problem I know for sure is that if I am to even consider getting this handled under the warranty, it's not that easy to just blow off the ones that are "difficult". There are very few that even service Saab warranties at this point. In my state, I believe there are 3. I went to 1, they told me they couldn't get the part. The other two basically said they are small operations and would not realy be able to help. They even referred me to the first place. The link to find Saab service locations that I used is here: http://www.saab.com/en-us/usa/the-company/service-centers/official-service-centers-us/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts