SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw some 08's at the LA show and was impressed, but it seems that the only way this car works with handsfree calliing is through OnStar, and not via a generic bluetooth interface like every other car?

So handsfree calling requires a separate contract with onstar?

Surely this is not correct. Any 08 owners out there that can clarify the situation?

Thanks,

·
Registered
588 Posts
jza80 said:
Saw some 08's at the LA show and was impressed, but it seems that the only way this car works with handsfree calliing is through OnStar, and not via a generic bluetooth interface like every other car?

So handsfree calling requires a separate contract with onstar?

Surely this is not correct. Any 08 owners out there that can clarify the situation?

Thanks,
SaabUSA = NO BLUETOOTH.

End of story.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No bluetooth here. Thank you GM for telling me what I want and then charging me $50 a month for the privilege.

·
Registered
759 Posts
What about the handsfree bluetooth kit from SaabUSA? Look in the accessories catalog, it's there. Connects thru the factory radio TEL1 connection. Unfortunately the steeringwheel buttons are only for Onstar....the factory bluetooth accessory kit requires you install an ugly bluetooth keypad on the dash somewhere. :roll:

No doubt Saab has hitched it's wagon to Onstar, and you won't be seeing bluetooth integration as a factory standard feature. The accessory kit I mention above is basically a repackaged Motorola kit with Saab stamped on the box.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It's really a shame that Saab still does not have any bluetooth or voice activation in their cars. They love to talk about all the safety and how it rates high in crash test. Get people some handsfree calling and it will be even safer. You can get bluetooth in a Toyota Prius...a freakin Prius, but not in a Saab. :evil:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wow... I just went to the website and the bluetooth is no longer an option..

What is wrong with this GM people? They own onstar and they are forcing it down their customers throats... not a good tactic.

Im glad my 2006 didnt even come up with an onstar at all.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nickshu said:
I just read the fine print on the Bluetooth kit:

"Please note that the Bluetooth handsfree kit is not to be used on a car equipped with Onstar."

Does this mean that you physically CANNOT use it, or they don't want you to use it??

http://www.saab.com/main/US/en/accessories/1/93_SS/2008/T/1/result.shtml
Correct. it PHYSICALLY cannot be installed if you have OnStar. Another reason I went with an 07 that does not have it....

GM will come around. You guys see how Ford is advertising the heck out of their new Sync system?

Give it time....although GM will lose a lot of young customers by then....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love my '03 ARC but honestly, this along with a whole list of quirky things has pushed me to think about dumping it.

This was my first venture into foreign vehicles and I thought since it was owned by GM and I'm a huge GM fan it would be a good fit for me. Not so. I'm looking at Audi and possibly, maybe BMW as an upgrade. I've heard each of them have their issues as well. I'm the type of person who likes to find out the hard way! Opinions other than my own are taken with a grain of salt. I like to make up my own mind. The same thing happened when I told some friends I was looking at Saab. They warned me but here I am. I'm glad I did it though. Now I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You guys saying the 07 cars don't have OnStar and can thus be made Bluetooth compatible?

I love my iPhone and Sooo want to use it in my newly ordered Turbo X.

Cameron

·
Registered
759 Posts
Cameron Reddy said:
You guys saying the 07 cars don't have OnStar and can thus be made Bluetooth compatible?

I love my iPhone and Sooo want to use it in my newly ordered Turbo X.

Cameron
Yes that is correct.

Best bet for your 2008 is to just get a regular bluetooth earpiece b/c that all that you will get! :evil:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was surprised when the brochure I got at the dealer did not mention bluetooth, but it mentioned that handsfree could be done with onstar if activated...with a calling plan. It was hard for me to believe which is why I posted.

This is really backwards thinking by GM/SAAB...my wife's 2004 9-3 is coming up for replacement in about a year or so, and she really likes the 9-3 so I was thinking about buying her a new 08 or 09 to replace her 04. But handsfree calling is going to be mandatory in Cailf next year, and if the only way the 9-3 can be operated in that mode is with an individual service that costs $50 a month then the 9-3 is off the list and an Audi A3 or A4 is back on it.

Too bad, I really liked the look of the new 08 at the LA auto show, and so did my wife. But bluetooth connectivity is a must have for her next car so this kills the new SAAB from consideration. Unbelievable!

I hope SAAB reviews this forum, so they can know the impact of their poor design decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I first started drooling over Saabs, in 1983, they were called the "thinking man's car" or some such. They were so well thought out--compared to anything else. All the little details... it was amazing.

AND NOW THIS?

NO BLUETOOTH? :eek: :eek: :eek: That's asinine.

It's really bugging me... and I just ordered the Turbo X...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Can the OnStar be disconnected? (and the Bluetooth connected in its place)

I'm sure Saab gets a huge marketing kickback for trying to foist onstar on everyone. :(

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I realize this thread is old, but I thought it'd be the best place to ask if anyone knows of any updates or progress on being able to add in bluetooth support to the '08 model. Maybe now with more people having '08s, hopefully someone's figured out a way around the onstar issue...

·
Registered
205 Posts
bluetooth

I'm sure it can be done,I have OnStar and Bluetooth in My03 and it works great
$150.00 steering wheel volume controls work ,radio cuts out ,sid lights up telephone

·
Registered
26 Posts
kanundrum said:
We are working on a solution to swapp out 09 onstar modules with 08 to get integrated bluetooth.
Nice! Though I'm disappointed there's not a simple fix, I'm glad to know a solution may be possible. Is there another thread or forum I could follow to keep updated on the project? I searched but couldn't find anything on here.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts