SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. It's been awhile since I last posted. I have a 2005 (US) Linear sedan, and I finally got a bluetooth phone. I'd like to add bluetooth connectivity to my Saab, but I'm kind of confused, even after looking through the stickies on the Tel1 and handsfree setups on the forum. Some questions:

-What the frak is Tel1 and what is it for, exactly?

-Has anybody installed the Saab factory accessory bluetooth kit? How is it?

-I have a Kyocera phone. Everybody keeps talking about they used Nokia kit blah blah or Sony Ericsson kit blah blah. Are they brand-specific? I don't want to be locked into a particular phone brand.

-Are there any diagrams anywhere that visually show the setup of an add-on bluetooth kit in this car? I'm a visual person, and I think a diagram would help me better understand how this all goes together.

-It doesn't seem that any Tech2 work is needed to "activate" the kit once it's installed, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I believe the TEL1 is for the UK only.

There is a write up on how to add an aftermarket kit to the wiring around here. I have the instructions at home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello. It's been awhile since I last posted. I have a 2005 (US) Linear sedan, and I finally got a bluetooth phone. I'd like to add bluetooth connectivity to my Saab, but I'm kind of confused, even after looking through the stickies on the Tel1 and handsfree setups on the forum. Some questions:

-What the frak is Tel1 and what is it for, exactly?

-Has anybody installed the Saab factory accessory bluetooth kit? How is it?

-I have a Kyocera phone. Everybody keeps talking about they used Nokia kit blah blah or Sony Ericsson kit blah blah. Are they brand-specific? I don't want to be locked into a particular phone brand.

-Are there any diagrams anywhere that visually show the setup of an add-on bluetooth kit in this car? I'm a visual person, and I think a diagram would help me better understand how this all goes together.

-It doesn't seem that any Tech2 work is needed to "activate" the kit once it's installed, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.
My bluetooth unit will arrive in the mail tomorrow. Give me a few days and I'll let you know my experiences installing it in my 2003 linear.

You'll need to find out if your car has been prewired for a handsfree unit. Pull off the center console side-panel in the passenger footwell and look for an ~18 pin connector. It should be right where the OEM cell phone mount block would go.

If you don't have the 375 connector, then you'll have to access tel1 from behind the radio. From what I understand, tel 1 allows the kit to mute the radio and play the sound through the door+center speakers. There are 3 small male spades on the back of the radio. Make your own cable or order one through etadyne (google it).

If you have the 375 connector, buy a Saab wiring harness, and just connect all the wires to the harness supplied with the bluetooth kit.

Google your phone and the bluetooth kit you're considering purchasing. I did this for several kits and found that the Motorola T605 would work best with my palm pre. It will allow me to stream music via bluetooth through the car speakers and change the song without pulling my phone out of the pocket.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Look around a bit. There was a whole thread of numerous pages that discussed wiring in a Motorola bluetooth unit. There is also one for wiring in a Parrot unit. You just need to to some research. It's all been covered so you should be able to find some good info on how to wire. It actually looked pretty easy with the writeup that was done.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I installed a Motorola HF850 into my 2005 9-3 Linear without too much trouble. the hardest part for me was figuring out how to get the head unit out without scuffing up the finish.

after you get it all done it's awesome to be able to keep both hands on the wheel and still talk. good luck!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Look around a bit. There was a whole thread of numerous pages that discussed wiring in a Motorola bluetooth unit. There is also one for wiring in a Parrot unit. You just need to to some research. It's all been covered so you should be able to find some good info on how to wire. It actually looked pretty easy with the writeup that was done.
Yes, there are lots of threads. Two key things that make a difference:
1) Whether the car has Tel1 (or that connector mentioned by an earlier poster). See post by hmsaab 06-04-06 "Motorola Bluetooth IHF-1000 Install"
2) Whether the car has OnStar with the hands-free phone. See post by kevinr1916 28-03-09 "Successful Bluetooth / USB / iPod install in '08 SportCombi"

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good grief! This has to be the most god-awful confusing thing I've researched in a long time. I've spent several hours over the past 2 days looking through all these threads. I've learned a lot, but I can't figure out the answers to a few simple questions (remember, I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear without prewire):

1. Do I need the Etadyne harness, the "Saab" (factory-provided accessory) add-on harness, or both? There is no clear answer on whether these two harnesses serve the same function or if they are both necessary, and I have yet to see anybody give a picture or pinout of the "Saab" harness. Details of the Etadyne harness are pretty easy to come by, especially on their own website.

2. Which wires are people using for the ground, constant power and switched power on "the back of the radio/cd player"? ... that's all everybody ever says is "these can be tapped on the back of the blah, blah" but nobody ever says which ones to use! I assume there are probably many wires back there, not just three very obvious ones for this purpose.

I know there's several people that have done this on the 9-3, and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, I'm just trying to keep from getting my car taken apart only to find I need something I don't have, or have something I don't need.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good grief! This has to be the most god-awful confusing thing I've researched in a long time. I've spent several hours over the past 2 days looking through all these threads. I've learned a lot, but I can't figure out the answers to a few simple questions (remember, I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear without prewire):

1. Do I need the Etadyne harness, the "Saab" (factory-provided accessory) add-on harness, or both? There is no clear answer on whether these two harnesses serve the same function or if they are both necessary, and I have yet to see anybody give a picture or pinout of the "Saab" harness. Details of the Etadyne harness are pretty easy to come by, especially on their own website.

2. Which wires are people using for the ground, constant power and switched power on "the back of the radio/cd player"? ... that's all everybody ever says is "these can be tapped on the back of the blah, blah" but nobody ever says which ones to use! I assume there are probably many wires back there, not just three very obvious ones for this purpose.

I know there's several people that have done this on the 9-3, and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, I'm just trying to keep from getting my car taken apart only to find I need something I don't have, or have something I don't need.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
1. Go to the following website to determine if you have the 375 connector:
http://www.etadyne.com/images/375.gif (source: Etadyne)

If you have the connector, buy the Saab wiring harness. If you don't, buy the etadyne cable. You can't make your own cable with standard connectors from the hardware store (I tried).

2. Get your switched power from the back of the cigarette lighter underneath the CD player. This will be obvious -- I don't recall how many wires there are back there, but just tap into the one that isn't black or green. Get always-on power from the CD player -- either tap into the cabin fuse box (which is what I did -- look in manual for appropriate fuse) or tap into the CD player power at the CD player, which I believe is the big red wire. It's not a big deal to run a wire to the fuse box. For ground, just find a bolt that screws into metal that appears to be part of the frame. I found a bolt somewhere in the center console, and it worked just fine.

PM me with questions. I ran into the same issues -- several threads, some describing the non-prewired and some describing the prewired, but they may not explicitly state which case it's for. I thought I was prepared to make a move, then jumped on the forum and confused myself, then eventually figured things out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just for another point of view, I bought a portable "plug and play" BT system instead. Very happy with it. The model I got is this one:
http://www.myblueant.com/products/speakerphones/st3/index.php

Sounds great, the auto-on (noise or motion sensor) works great, the full duplex makes it much easier to communicate using it than my wife's Camry built in BT. Battery life is very long and I am toying with adding a 5v USB line from the ceiling console for charging it and my Tom Tom.

I know some people don't like the cluttered look of plug and play stuff, but wanted to mention the quick and simple option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
here is my install of the motorola ihf1000. On the first pic you can see where the tel 2 would be, I bought the saab connector (shows the sticker).

here is my install for the bluetooth. Since I had the tel1 or 2? package already installed from factory it was very easy. I installed the brains as per the pictures and used zipties to hold it in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts