SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been researching and reading everything I could find on integrating my Bluetooth phone into my 9-5. Most of the information out there is based on the 9-3. This is what I've learned so far.

1) The US cars with built in OnStar do not have the telephone integration plug that the non-OnStar cars have.

2) One must use the UHLTronics Triad on OnStar equiped cars to maintain OnStar functionality. Wires must be cut into and spliced to make this work. This device is not a requirment if you don't mind disabling the OnStar features.

I plan on purchasing the Parrot CK3100 and the UHLTronics Triad. I'm undecided as to whether I will do the install myself or hire a shop.

Has anyone used this Triad device? If so, how do you like it?

~Patrick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just bought my CK3100 from a seller on eBay. I can't wait to see it in action.

~Patrick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Mattlach. I had ordered the Triad about 30 minutes before your post. I've since canceled the order.

I did order the telephone integration electrical plug (4811329) from my dealer. That should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My CK3100 is here and I think I'm ready for the install. Has anyone done this as a DIY on an OnStar equipped car?

I'm also looking for ideas on where to mount the display. Any suggestions or photos are welcome.

~Patrick

·
Registered
809 Posts
Place

Around the gear selector is the easiest way

I also like around A pillar location -it is more usefull. Mine is there:D

For connecting i bought only Saab phone wiring harness,but we are OnStar free here.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
DoctorPhill said:
For connecting i bought only Saab phone wiring harness,but we are OnStar free here.
My understanding is that you should just be able to disconnect the Onstar Harness and replace it with the phone wire harness in the same plug. I read up on it a while back, but I have never done it.

--Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't pulled the radio yet so I don't know if there is a plug or not. The UHLtronics website has instructions that say that the OnStar wires must be cut so that's what I'm expecting. I've been reading every post I could find. I was planning to add the 375 (TEL1) cable to the car and then just tap into that.

375 Connector
Pin
Function Color
1 Ground Black
2-3 Not in use
4 Mute Yellow
5-6 Not in use
7 Line output ground Blue/White
8 Not in use
9 Mic ground Green
10 12V Key controlled Red/Blue
11 12V Power Supply Red
12-13 Not in use
14 Mic low level output Orange
15 Not in use
16 Line output signal Grey/White
17 Not in use
18 Mic high level output Grey/Brown

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
pbrown said:
I haven't pulled the radio yet so I don't know if there is a plug or not. The UHLtronics website has instructions that say that the OnStar wires must be cut so that's what I'm expecting. I've been reading every post I could find. I was planning to add the 375 (TEL1) cable to the car and then just tap into that.

375 Connector
Pin
Function Color
1 Ground Black
2-3 Not in use
4 Mute Yellow
5-6 Not in use
7 Line output ground Blue/White
8 Not in use
9 Mic ground Green
10 12V Key controlled Red/Blue
11 12V Power Supply Red
12-13 Not in use
14 Mic low level output Orange
15 Not in use
16 Line output signal Grey/White
17 Not in use
18 Mic high level output Grey/Brown
Are the ultronics instructions specifically for Saab 9-5's or generic for Onstar Equipped cars?

If memory serves me correctly, the saab wiring harness you bought completely replaces the Onstar connection to the head unit, leaving unconnected wires for you to tie into your Bluetooth device.

When you do this, please let us know how it works and take picturres if you can :) I think many of us are interested to see how it goes!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have my SAAB harness yet. They were going to call last Thursday. I'll drop by tomorrow and see if it came in. It would be nice to just unplug OnStar and all my own harness. I'm not really wanting to cut any factory wires even in they are for an obsolete OnStar component.

On a related topic, is there a blank plug to replace the OnStar controls on the dash? OnStar is on a button looking adapter just under my traction control button. I was thinking about mounting the Parrot LCD in that area and running the wires through the dash where OnStar used to be.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just installed the CK3100 in my 04 Aero (also from eBay). Definitely get the Saab harness. I think there are some changes between years and definitely between Onstar/no Onstar. The plug was found in my car behind the ACC unit wrapped in felt tape. You have to unplug Onstar at this plug and replace it with the Saab harness. There is a good post on SN as to what wires to use between the Saab harness and the Parrot. The only confusing part for me was that there are 2 ISO harnesses on the Parrot with same color wires. Wasn't sure which side to use. Had to test it with both for the speaker functionality. You do cut all the car side connectors off and connect the wires to the Saab harness. Only 6 wires I believe. If you have ever installed a car stereo, this is no harder. Also use the Parrot mike. I first placed it in the stock mike location, but it was distant sounding. I used one of the clips and clipped it to the headliner so it sits right on top of the rearview mirror. I mounted the display on the left part of the cubby. I can take pics and post them. Let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
576 Posts
From SN:

Saab Harness ---------- Parrot
The following three on are on
one Parrot connector (the smaller
as I recall)
Red (12V Direct) Red (+12V Permanent)
Red/Blue (12V Ignition) Orange (+12V Memory)
Black (Ground) Black (Ground)

The following are on the larger
Parrot connector
Yellow (Mute) Yellow (Cable not connected to harness - Mute)
Grey/White (Phone Line+) Blue (Front Right Spkr +)
Blue/White (Phone Line-) Green (Front Right Spkr -)
Green (Mic Ground) Unused (I used the Parrot Mic)
Grey/Brown (Mic +) Unused (I used the Parrot Mic)
Orange (light dimmer) Unsued (I think this used to dim phone display)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm finally getting around to installing my Parrot. I pulled the radio, radio housing, and ACC unit. I'm having trouble finding the connector. Does it even exist? I was under the impression that I could just unplug Onstar and attach my telephone integration cable in its place. Help Please.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is one more photo. I sure would like to hear from anyone that has done this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yep. That's the correct one. The Saab harness connects to that and that is spliced with the Parrot wires. Should be Saab part number 12801584 for phone harness.Here is how I mounted my display

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks nbndtrain. I now have the right cable. It helps that the dealer is five minutes away. The downside is that the new cable didn't come with documentation like the other one. I had them photocopy the other one for me and I made some notes that should get be by.

Where did you place the mic by the way? I see you used the Parrot mic in an earlier post. How did you route the wire?

--Patrick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's mostly done. The new adapter harness worked great. The pinout listed earlier by nbndtrain is right on. I mounted the LCD panel in the same place (in front of the cubby). I haven't routed the microphone. It will be complete once I get that done. I figure that I can route the wire behind the glove box, up the A piller, and over to the location of the factory mic. I need to change my cabin filter anyway so I'll do this at the same time.

--Patrick

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I finished routing the mic cord today. It was a lot easier that I thought it would be. The mic is mounted at the rear of the overhead plastic thingy (technical term) near the sunroof. The wire was pushed into the head liner across the windshield, down the a-pillar, and through the dash. The cover on the right side of the dash makes easy access. I used a straightened wire coat hanger to push the wire over the glove box and into the stereo void. It took maybe 10 minutes.

This is a great addition. I would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Does your "ring"? Mine doesn't, it just mutes the volume of the stereo. I think I need to upgrade the firmware as it is an older version and I have a newer Blackberry phone. Have you done the firmware update? Any step by step tips? The hardest part for me is finding a friend with Bluetooth on their laptop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts