SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked through a lot of threads but didn't really see any info on hooking up a Bluetooth if you DON'T have onstar. I think I have the AS3 package (9 speakers, no cd) but don't know what I would need to do to hook up a bluetooth set and use the stereo for calls. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No problem. Couple months ago I hooked up Nokia CK-7W BT car kit to my AS3 in MY2000 without onstar (never had one). If you don't have onstar you will need the simpler Saab connector (10 pin phone harness), not the bigger one for splicing into onstar. You might also want to check whether your car is preset for Tel1 connection (power for charging, ignition, radio mute, radio speakers and built in microphone) or or Tel0 (just power and radio mute). The easiest way is to take off the plastic cover on the headliner (where the halogen maplight and sunroof control buttons are) and see if you have a microphone there already - means you have Tel1. With nokia car kit you can use the saab built in microphone as is - it is configured for "low outout" and works perfect with nokia/ericsson kits. If you're considering motorola (and possibly parrot) then they require "high output" microphone and that requires changing pin connections on saab microphone (it comes as pins 1,2, and I believe you need to change those to 1,3). I did the install in one afternoon, took 1 hr of soldering/isolating at home (splicing nokia cables into the saab harness) and about 45 mins later in the car to put it all in. Works perfect, and the saab mic allows for a very nice, clean install :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. My wife actually has a blackberry curve. She's currently driving a 1967 Mercedes 250S (four on the floor) about 50 miles to work. It's a brutal ride even though it's a nice car. She's already green over my 9-5 (she also loves Saab) and I'm thinking if I get a bluetooth hook up, it will be enough to convince her to get a 9-5. :cheesy:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was going to go hardwire, but then I found this at the local Costco:

http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/NA-US/products/Pages/JabraSP5050.aspx

Thus far I've been pleased with it overall. Call quality is excellent (at least in the low-noise environment of the 9-5), battery life is very good, and it's unobtrusive. Two issues are voice recognition with my Pearl (usually takes at least two tries to get it to identify) and ring volume is way too soft. But for $50, it was hard to beat--especially given that I can take it with me when I travel (which I do often).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
walmark said:
No problem. Couple months ago I hooked up Nokia CK-7W BT car kit to my AS3 in MY2000 without onstar (never had one). If you don't have onstar you will need the simpler Saab connector (10 pin phone harness), not the bigger one for splicing into onstar. You might also want to check whether your car is preset for Tel1 connection (power for charging, ignition, radio mute, radio speakers and built in microphone) or or Tel0 (just power and radio mute). The easiest way is to take off the plastic cover on the headliner (where the halogen maplight and sunroof control buttons are) and see if you have a microphone there already - means you have Tel1. With nokia car kit you can use the saab built in microphone as is - it is configured for "low outout" and works perfect with nokia/ericsson kits. If you're considering motorola (and possibly parrot) then they require "high output" microphone and that requires changing pin connections on saab microphone (it comes as pins 1,2, and I believe you need to change those to 1,3). I did the install in one afternoon, took 1 hr of soldering/isolating at home (splicing nokia cables into the saab harness) and about 45 mins later in the car to put it all in. Works perfect, and the saab mic allows for a very nice, clean install :D

Good luck!
I believe I have the microphone (I can see the holes on the overhead). Also, since my last post my wife has switched to the Treo from Palm. I was wondering how this changed anything.

·
Registered
740 Posts
As long as you're using Bluetooth as an interface, it shouldn't change anything. Bluetooth is meant to be universal media for small area network. As long as Treo has BT it should work with any bluetooth car kit. Different levels of bluetooth (i.e 1.1, 1.2, 2.0) have different levels of functionality (for example 2.0 will let you browse phone's contacts using car kit and stream music in stereo), but they are backwards compatible (your BT 2.0 phone will still work with BT 1.1 car kit).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I installed a Siemens (think it was a HKW600). All you need is the Saab harness to hook it into the radio system. Works very well. Do a search for detailed instructions in earlier posts - someone posted all his pics.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Parrot 3200+Saab harness from more than year.Works fine with several phones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where can I excess the wires for the microphone? I would like to excess it in the dash if I could I don't want to take off overhead to run the wires.

walmark said:

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts