SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive run into yet another problem with my 97 9000 CSE 2.3 Turbo. The car will blow blue smoke from the exhaust somtimes on start-up and if it sits idling for a few minutes. I've also noticed a significant loss of boost. Is it possible that my turbo has blown?? If so, any idea what this usualy costs to fix?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I'm not too good with turbo stuff but to me it also sounds like your turbo shot. I heard that getting a turbo sorted will run you a grand or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked my shaft play, and its huge... at least 1/4 inch... Time for a new turbo... Does any one know if the turbo from the aero is compatible with a 97 CSE? Or do i have to go with stock again

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
snowbrdr360 said:
I just checked my shaft play, and its huge... at least 1/4 inch... Time for a new turbo... Does any one know if the turbo from the aero is compatible with a 97 CSE? Or do i have to go with stock again
Yes, AFAIK it's compatible. The turbo on a FPT or LPT is a Garret T25, whilst on the aero it's a Mitsubishi TD04. The engines are the same and with some modifications to the turbo brackets etc..., you should be able to fit the turbo from an Aero, but the question really should be is it worth the hassle - I wouldn't think so especially as it would be considered a modification and your insurance company is likely to hike your premium.

For the full technical details of changing to a td04 someone else who's done the job will have to give more details.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No decent used turbos anywhere near me, so i decided just to go with a brand new stock. Can anyone tell me what stock boost pressure is? As well as if and how it can be adjusted? I want to try and get more power out of it.

Im used to my Mitsubishi Eclipse, AWD turbo at 18psi, hopfuly i can get it out of storage soon too!

Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts