SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think of my blue instrument cluster?

I will provide details if you people like it =)

The first thing you do it to take off the top of the whole dashboard. Take off the speaker covers first and then unscrew 2 torx screws on each side along with a 8mm bolt on each side. Take the top off and then unscrew the 2 torx needed to take out the instrument cluster.

Next you have to unplug all the wiring to the instrument cluster. From there you can unscrew the bulb sockets and replace the bulbs. Simple as that.

To replace the washingfluid bulb along with the battery light and abs and such, you need to unscrew two phillips screws and take the whole printcard out.

To replace the bulbs in the info display you have to cut out the previous bulb and then solder in the new LED bulb. Not difficult at all.

So to where I got these bulbs. I got them from superbrightleds

You will need about 6 "WLED-xHP" and 6-10 "24-xHP"

REMEMBER THAT THESE BULBS ARE POLARIZED! If they dont light up, dont panic! Just unscrew and turn the socket 180 degrees and insert it again. And dont leave the rheostat without resistance. Always plug in all the cables before testing.

Here is the back of the instrument cluster. The 6 black circles are bulb sockets. 4 of these are for the lightning of the gauges. The upper 2 are for the turn signal.

The three types of sockets you will meet. The middle one is soldered into the socket.

Here you see the panel where the door indicators are. It is the same bulbs on the opposite side of the cluster where the warning bulbs are (low washerfluid, anti lock, battery etc).

The clock with LEDs installed

I also soldered some LEDs into a few of the switches too

And finally the new bulbs I fitted tonight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the display in the bottom I had to solder the LEDs to the socket. Since the LEDs are polarized you have to turn the socket 180 degrees if they dont light up.

As for the door indicators I just cut off the bottom of the LED socket. The color is now purple instead of red. Not much of a win in that case. 24-xHP is the name of these. These are the smaller ones and do also fit in the air condition panel. These also fitted in as replacements for wiperfluid, battery, ABS lamps..

The instrument cluster itself is just lit up by 4 LEDs. These are called WLED-xHP and fits into the turn indicators too.

These LEDs are found HERE

Took only 5 minutes to take the instrument cluster out of the car and another 30 minutes to solder and stuff..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the display in the bottom I had to solder the LEDs to the socket. Since the LEDs are polarized you have to turn the socket 180 degrees if they dont light up.

As for the door indicators I just cut off the bottom of the LED socket. The color is now purple instead of red. Not much of a win in that case. 24-xHP is the name of these. These are the smaller ones and do also fit in the air condition panel. These also fitted in as replacements for wiperfluid, battery, ABS lamps..

The instrument cluster itself is just lit up by 4 LEDs. These are called WLED-xHP and fits into the turn indicators too.

These LEDs are found HERE

Took only 5 minutes to take the instrument cluster out of the car and another 30 minutes to solder and stuff..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrote a guide, but the mods have to approve it first I think.. My green lights never worked, but I think the blue is better anyway.. I will change the rest of the bulbs in the interior later..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would love to do this in my 9-5, but there are so many green lights, I don't know if I could do it all! It would be nice to see the write-up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It is easy as pie. If just the admins could approve my guide :)

Edit: If you people are interested, I can take some pictures of the cluster with the new LED bulbs before its getting dark outside...

·
Registered
594 Posts
loks awesome i personally dont like the floor lights but the in dash lights look great where did u get the LEDS and what colors do they offer.. ? ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I updated the first post. I will post more pictures soon. I actually disassembled the whole dash again for yours to learn!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would like to see how the amber or red look i have a boost gauge mounted where the analog clock goes and i have an orange bulb in place now since i have the stock lighting but the blue is pretty clean. good work..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I honestly thought it wasn't the bulbs that were green, but the actual cluster that was green. I suppose this means that putting any color in should work. Did you try putting in a regular white one to see what it looks like? If you liked the green, this is a good guide for replacing the bulbs with Green LED's to make them appear a little brighter.

I wonder what the different color options would look like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt actually check if there was a green film inside the cluster.. But I think there is.. The bulbs inside were regular ones (white-yellowish). I think that only the green, blue is the only option to make this look nice. If I get a spare cluster I can try to remove that green film and see. Obviously I don't want to test on my own since I kinda end up modifying even more :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly, I think this is not a light bulb, is green, but the actual cluster is green. I guess that means, should work in any color. You might try a regular basis to see what it looks like the white one? If you like green, this is a good guide to replacing light bulbs and green LED's there, make them happier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I tried to replace the door indicator bulbs with blue LED bulbs. It looked purple so I changed back. This because of the red film inside. This also goes for the rest of the cluster which is green inside. Only colored LEDs like blue and green would look nice.. Colors like red and orange would look purple or brown if inserted..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts