SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so finally got my engine out and got the oil pan off and it appears that the 1st and 4th rod bearings are gone.
I got a qoute for a full engine rebuild of 3000 to 5000 they said this is because of all the parts i would need.. Im sort of confused as to why i would need so many parts. anyways what im wondering is how much you guys have gotten clyinders re machined for? And how much for machining of the head?

Or do i even need to get the clyinder and header machined? Could i just get the crank done, replace the bearings, and what ever other seals and gaskets need to be replaced?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Unless you are building an engine to "better than new specifications", meaning a builder that specializes in that kind of stuff, that is a very high price. You might be better off with a used engine. I would check car-part.com, Goldwing Saab, etc.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems :cry:

I agree with PMI. Buy a used engine or get a crashed SAAB that has a known good engine.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have seen a V6, new for $1,625.00 as I recall; this was very recently....
I paid about $950 for the new Diesel engine, but that was years ago. A factory rebuilt two stroke was, IIRC, $300, but many,many years ago...

The reason why the quote ($3K to $5K)is so high ??
IMO, the shop does not want the work...
If they really do rebuild and blueprint the engine to better than new specs, they would simply say so and give out all the particulars....and details.

·
Registered
713 Posts
earthworm said:
I have seen a V6, new for $1,625.00 as I recall; this was very recently....
I paid about $950 for the new Diesel engine, but that was years ago. A factory rebuilt two stroke was, IIRC, $300, but many,many years ago...

The reason why the quote ($3K to $5K)is so high ??
IMO, the shop does not want the work...
If they really do rebuild and blueprint the engine to better than new specs, they would simply say so and give out all the particulars....and details.
yea i have seen that motor also, its that 3.2 motor off partsforsaabs i believe. as for your situation, 3-5 k is waay to high, i bought my car for 3500 so id go search for a used motor and do the swap, or if you can find a better shop, pay that 3-5K and build ur motor up, all up to you its your money! good luck
Tyler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts