SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side of the plastic tank on the passenger side blew a hole. We parked the car and were walking away when it happened. I obviously need to replace the radiator and will do the thermostat and check hoses while I am at it...
My question is...is there anything that could have caused the radiator to build up pressure and pop like that? Or likely just weekened and blew.
It has 137,000 miles.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
cindy0904 said:
The side of the plastic tank on the passenger side blew a hole. We parked the car and were walking away when it happened. I obviously need to replace the radiator and will do the thermostat and check hoses while I am at it...
My question is...is there anything that could have caused the radiator to build up pressure and pop like that? Or likely just weekened and blew.
It has 137,000 miles.

Thanks
Mark
I never understood why they made the radiator end tanks out of plastic anyway. I mean if something is going to get THAT hot over and over why not just do a fully aluminum one? I've had to replace the radiator on my 9000 and my '01 Aero because of brittle plastic end tanks leaking or failing. I expect I will have to replace it on my '03 Aero as well when the time comes. It's a pity they don't make an aftermarket all-aluminum replacement for our cars like a lot of the imports.

Chances are the plastic just gave up. It's the weak point of the part. Hoses are a definite replace if they haven't been as well. There are silicon versions of the radiator pipe available from Samco hoses but they are pricey. You wouldn't have to replace them again though. Check eEuroparts.com for factory replacement components at the best prices. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts