SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as previously mentioned I have purchased two 83 saab 900 8v turbo's relatively cheaply. I have taken the turbo off of my "parts car" and determined it to be faulty because of significant play. I began to inspect the turbo on my "good" car by removing the exhaust elbow and I found it has play as well. Unfortunately I also found in the exhaust elbow and pipe that dreaded mayonaise indicating oil has mixed with water. I checked the forums for similar symtoms and I am assuming that I have a blown head on my "good" car. Am I correct and should I start planning for this repair?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Is there any mayo on the dipstick? Oil in the coolant tank or coolant in oil? Does the car run OK, any misfiring? Is the temperature normal? Any mysterious loss of coolant? Thick white smoke from the exhaust? Any one of these might indicate a blown head gasket, but it is a major job, so get a compression test done to confirm. If you're having turbo problems anyway it seems likely that the inside of the pipework would be a bit grubby.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
What do you mean by exhaust elbow? is this just some of the pipework?

The internals of the pipework on all my cars has often been oily or dirty. Perhaps the mayo is just caused by condensation settling in there or something?

I seem to occasionally get mayo in the top of my dipstick and water in my dissy cover which i was putting down to condensation..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok great guys I'll check it out further before I take apart the head. Seems like it'll be a major undertaking. I contacted a turbo guy in Vancouver BC to rebuild my turbo. Should the turbo have absolutely no play at all?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i need my turbo rebuilt and i'm in vancouver BC!, well across the water in north vancouver-still close. but who is this guy if you don't mind me asking and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
More and more I'm thinking I should open a turbo rebuild shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry but I asked the guy in Vancouver if he would be interested in me posting his info and he said "no". He said he mainly does industrial turbos and that he was way to busy to be getting lots of calls for side work. Man I'm really sorry. :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts