SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car was running fine until 2 blocks before home, when antifreeze smelling
steam came from my exhaust, and coolant leaking out the bottom of the engine. My first thoughts are a blown head gasket, agree?
if so, would you bother trying to repair 92 900s convertible, with 49k original miles? everything else in the car in perfect. Or would you try to sell it out for parts? if sell how much do you think I could get?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Probably head gasket, yes. Check all the other symptoms - search on the words "head gasket" for details. Get a garage to do a compression test.

It's a very common problem. 10 hours labour according to the book, but some on here have done it themselves as well. It usually happens at about 150,000 miles. Does yours really only have 49,000 miles on it? At 49,000 there's no question - get it fixed and you've got years of life left in the car. Mine went at 148,000 - now on 180,000 and the car goes better than ever. You'll get far more for a functioning car in good condition than a load of parts.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi,I'd check the hoses, radiator and waterpump first. Something tells me this may not be a head gasket.Does the coolent tank have oil in it? :confused: Pat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jezzadee said:
Probably head gasket, yes. Check all the other symptoms - search on the words "head gasket" for details. Get a garage to do a compression test.

It's a very common problem. 10 hours labour according to the book, but some on here have done it themselves as well. It usually happens at about 150,000 miles. Does yours really only have 49,000 miles on it? At 49,000 there's no question - get it fixed and you've got years of life left in the car. Mine went at 148,000 - now on 180,000 and the car goes better than ever. You'll get far more for a functioning car in good condition than a load of parts.
yep legit original 49k miles. The car doesn't see daylight in the winter, I have my gas guzzling SUV and the only time it comes out in the summer is when I take it to play golf 20min away (all highway). 1yr when I brought it in for inspection, the guy says "1,500 miles in a year??? you got to be kidding me"

Question I have is, could the head gasket have failed early then normal because of "lack of use"? I know I had to change my tires because of dry rot and not because of wear, and I know if happens to some gaskets. Does the same happen to head gaskets?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
raphster said:
Question I have is, could the head gasket have failed early then normal because of "lack of use"? I know I had to change my tires because of dry rot and not because of wear, and I know if happens to some gaskets. Does the same happen to head gaskets?
letting a saab sit is not a good idea. they seem to hold up better when people drive the snot out of them really. i do ridonculous km on mine and it just purrs like a little kitten, i'm at like 310,000kms, done 30,000ish since end of jan when i got it.! all original main parts minus a few clutches, even the rad is original.

don't let a young vert liek that go, you are so lucky to have a nice vert and then with that many low miles, it must look fantastic!

if it makes you feel any better up where i live thats a $9000-$12,000 car! even in your money thats up around $10,000!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any ideas what it would cost to replace the head gasket, assuming everything else is ok and undamaged?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
If you do it yourself, around $65. Pay a mechanic and you're looking close to $1000. :roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Headgaskets generally go from too many cold/hot cycles. Theoretically speaking you only have 15 000 "cycles" on each gasket, let's say. Multiply by 10 miles per cycle and you get around 150 000 miles which is around the milage the gasket went on two of my cars.

If the engine was running at operating temp continuously, the headgasket would theoretically last forever.

The reason they blow is due to the different expansion rates of the aluminium cylinder head and iron block. Also other things like poorly maintained cooling system can exacerbate the situation.

So with 48 000 miles I'd doubt a headgasket problem, but you never know, **** happens. And what if the car was only started until it hit operating temp then shut off immediately, going back to 15 000 cycles and there was only three miles driven on each cycle, you end up at 45 000 miles :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
i vote for head gasket problem. the exact same thing happened on my 92 900s vert at 45000 miles. the reason is this....most maintenence is designed around miles per year/month. the only exception is coolants. time seems to be the big killer on that subject. the previous owners of my car had done all the maint. per miles. it was time that got me. once you get the headgasket replaced, put the car on a yearly coolant flush regimen. use mercedes coolant (per townsend) also, change thermostat, and coolant switch in the radiator. good luck.

allen
92 900s vert

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
coolant changing would be something I neglected. I don't remember the last time I changed the coolant. Everything else was maintained on schedule. I thought I would experiance overheating problems before blowing the head gasket. Funny thing is when I saw the steam, first thing I looked at was the temp gauge and it was a little hot but not in the red. This like most of my lessons will be a costly one!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What is the collective opinion on Antifreeze?`

Is there any significant data suggesting that 'normal' antifreeze solutions will cause pitting of the head....a reaction to amin, nitrites, phosphates allegedly found in most antifreeze formulas...and related to the aluminum head/metal gasket in the engines?
Does Pentosin (sic) have any loyal followers? Its expensive at $9 per 1.5Liter container.
The local Saab mechanic suggested I take a look at the head since the engine is out of the car. He said they pit and this leads to other woes. I'm on the fence on this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts