SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What are the indications of a blown head gasket, and how difficult is it to have replaced?
I just drove the car back home from the dealership and it was blowing smoke almost the entire way home, about 45miles. I was told this was because the turbo seals were blown and leaking oil into the exhaust and being burned off, which makes sense for the smoke. I can also hear metal parts clanking around in the turbo and exhaust, and during the drive the smoke got worse. Now I knew about the turbo failing from the dealer and declined paying the $1800 to have it replaced, but would driving those 45miles cause the head gasket to blow also?? Is it possible that the dealer made a mistake in the beginning in telling me the turbo failed when it was really the head gasket??
We're talking about a freshly rebuilt gt17 turbo, that was installed by me and ran great for about 2weeks. I took the car to the dealer after the car developed the white smoke and clanking noise with my wife and didn't risk wanting to drive the car any further. I asked them to check things out and that's when they said the turbo completely failed.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Typically, oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil - coolant loss - white smoke - increased engine temp :confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm a little confused! Are you sure it was white smoke? White smoke is also sweet smelling and sweet tasting. Did you lose any oil in your 45 mile trip back home? If the turbo was completely blown you would have lost a fair amount of oil in that time. I would check your oil and coolant levels and go from there.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Head gaskets dont normally make this metallic noise - well not for a while.

I'd suspect the re built turbo breaking up :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll have to check the fluids in the morning since it's dark out now. The engine temp didn't go up more than normal, and the noise didn't sound like it was coming from the engine, mostly from the front area and downstream in the exhaust pipe.

I'll see in the morning, or later on when the engine cools down some more.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went and checked the fluids, no signs of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil that I can see. The oil level was really low, and I checked underneath the engine and there was signs of oil leaking and oil in the tailpipe.
When I checked the oil level, traces of white smoke slowly came up the dipstick tube :confused: and some still came out the tailpipe. So, now that there is oil in the entire exhaust, how am I going to clean that out?? Let me guess, I can't. I'm gonna have to either wait till it all burns out or replace it, right??

·
Registered
230 Posts
As the dealer had told you it most definitely sounds like a complete turbo failure. Happened to me last winter! The oil in the exhaust will burn off once you get the turbo replaced. There is a chance you may have to replace an 02 sensor but unlikely. You will also need to clean out the intercooler to get any broken pieces out of it from the turbo. I hope the seller of rebuilt turbo stands behind their product!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
waynlewis said:
I just went and checked the fluids, no signs of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil that I can see. The oil level was really low, and I checked underneath the engine and there was signs of oil leaking and oil in the tailpipe.
When I checked the oil level, traces of white smoke slowly came up the dipstick tube :confused: and some still came out the tailpipe. So, now that there is oil in the entire exhaust, how am I going to clean that out?? Let me guess, I can't. I'm gonna have to either wait till it all burns out or replace it, right??
That's exactly the same thing that happend to me when my turbo died. Smoke out of the dipstick tube, nasty smelling smoke from the exhaust and loud metal noises on acceleration. I had my indy change my turbo for I think $900? The dealer wanted almost $2k :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ron22 said:
That's exactly the same thing that happend to me when my turbo died. Smoke out of the dipstick tube, nasty smelling smoke from the exhaust and loud metal noises on acceleration. I had my indy change my turbo for I think $900? The dealer wanted almost $2k :eek:
You just hit it on the head!!! Exactly the same thing here. The only other thing I'm concern about is if I may have damaged the head or gasket during the last leg of the drive. I don't think so since there was still some oil in the crank when I checked and when I started the car the engine ran fine, made no noise and just smoked. When I shifted into drive, then the noise and rough idle started.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
579 Posts
waynlewis said:
You just hit it on the head!!! Exactly the same thing here. The only other thing I'm concern about is if I may have damaged the head or gasket during the last leg of the drive. I don't think so since there was still some oil in the crank when I checked and when I started the car the engine ran fine, made no noise and just smoked. When I shifted into drive, then the noise and rough idle started.

Thanks for your input guys.

Try not to drive it/start it. I believe the metal noises are metal bits shearing in the turbo...wouldn't want that floating around your engine. I had mine flatbedded to the shop. The $100 towing charge was worth it to not have to worry about destroying my engine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
waynlewis said:
My turbo failure also had the same exact symptoms as yours. I had a smoke screen like I've never seen before. I wouldn't be too concerned about the head. As long as you never saw the temp go up and you still had oil in the crank you should be okay!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pab95 said:
My turbo failure also had the same exact symptoms as yours. I had a smoke screen like I've never seen before. I wouldn't be too concerned about the head. As long as you never saw the temp go up and you still had oil in the crank you should be okay!
Yeah, my wife was driving behind me and said she couldn't even see me for awhile and had to drop back. She said it was like james bond throwing a smoke screen :lol: .
I'm feeling better now talking with you guys about my concerns over the head. The temp never went up and i know for sure there was oil in the crank. Been also reading the other thread by valrune, so I also know to check the tb, intake pipe, intercooler and hoses for traces of oil and where to clean.

aah, finding a happy place now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before you install the 2nd turbocharger

Before you install a second turbocharger and blame the first failure on the rebuilder have you checked these things?

1. Is the turbo oil feed line clean and free of obstructions? I typically also hog out the oil feed holes on the banjo bolt to allow more oil flow to the turbo.

2. Did you remove your oil pan and inspect for sludging which would cause low oil pressure to your turbocharger and premature failure. You have the exhaust off why not spend 30 minutes and remove the oil pan.

3. If this is a mechanical failure of the turbo, fine. But if it is not have you inspected for pcv breather system blockages? Any internal crankcase pressure will cause the turbo to smoke... wont explain the metal sounds though!

4. Did you replace your air filter? is there anything in there that could come through and hit the turbo impeller which would lead to premature failure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts