SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 900i (1989)

Finally bought my saab, but being a bit hopeful (hopeless) mechanic I kinda bought it knowing that there was an exhaust problem. Actually running into the workshop just to get it checked over. But just out of curiosity i had it up on a lift at a friends, and the exhaust looks, well, perfect...

We think it's coming from the actual engine. The noise, which is basically like a blowing, the kinda sound you hear when the exhaust is just starting to turn. It is not smoking and the oil is as clean as a whistle.

Just wondered if anyone had had similar symptoms?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
The noise, which is basically like a blowing, the kinda sound you hear when the exhaust is just starting to turn.
Umm, that would be the starter motor - I wonder if the ignition switch is sticking on, and the motor's staying spinning? Does the key turn back a little bit manually, leaving the engine running but making the noise stop?

The other option is that the exhaust manifold or a joint is leaking - you should be able to feel the escaping gases, if you can't hear any particular direction.

Starter motor is front of the engine, driver's side (LHD). Exhaust is the other side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply! yeah my friend mentioned that, the starter motor. It seemed fine (could be wrong), we checked it over. but its a real deep rumble. I can't quite describe the sound. But it's coming from the motor. i hope the seals have gone around the manifold, but we couldn't see or feel fumes escaping. In an unrelated problem, its runs warm because of a faulty radiator, I never let it get hot (overheat). But it could have really over heated in the past, warping the head or the tappets or that. but, and this is more me hoping than thinking, I just feel the if something that severe had happened, it wouldn't run. it has a load of power and it's responsive and doesn't smoke one bit. A mystery. Will try and film it and post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
beating me to my own video, nice :)

Really unhealthy. poop. ok. buy cheap buy twice as they say. cylinder head? gussing that's prohibitively expensive to repair?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Would I be able to immediately see that? the manifold?
You can see it in the video, just below the E of "16 VALVE" on the cam cover. Bolted to the side of the cylinder head, the manifold is the component that takes the four exhaust ports and channels the gases into the exhaust downpipe.

Again, you'd hear the directionality and feel the escaping gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts