SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to spread some good news on a somewhat common problem for the 9-5; the dreaded failed blower motor.

I recently picked up a 1999 9-5 with 192K miles and the blower motor was dead. Removed the motor and noted the brushes worn and faulty. in the process of hoping to acquire parts in my city so I didn't have to order on eBay or online, I called around to quite a few shops and stores. I found an outstanding solution with Philbin Manufacturing. They removed the commutator for polishing and they put it all back together including soldering on new brushes. It worked properly with no strange noises as soon as it was plugged in. Below is a synopsis of what I went through to find this solution. The guys at the shop were great to deal with.

Total cost: under $50 for a 1hr service.

Philbin Manufacturing - Rebuilt Products
28 North Russell Street
Portland, OR 97227-1619
(503) 287-1718
PhilbinGroup dot Com

Installed the blower motor last night and the fan works flawlessly & as advertised. No odd or loud noises from the fan while in operation. I also suspect since the Commutator was turned down so smoothly there is no reason for careful break-in on low speed.

To recap:
1) called Napa Auto parts - "we don't sell brushes or repair parts."
2) called Battery and Alternator Exchange - "we don't sell parts; just complete parts. Try Alternator Electric & Battery. I think they are the only ones that do that type of thing anymore."
3) Drive to Alternator Electric & Battery. They took one look at the blower motor "just buy a new one man. These things aren't meant to be serviced. We don't just have parts lying around. Look at those rivets; it's not meant to be taken apart.
4) Google search for "electric motor repair"
5) called Conrey Electric - "we don't work on low voltage motors, you should call Philbin Electric; they do that stuff."
6) Called Philbin Electric - "sure we can sell you some brushes. Come on over. Bring the motor with you.
7) Drive to Philbin - "I don't think brushes will help you out. See how the commuator is worn? It will just grind away the new brush. Here, let me take it in back for a second. (returns) OK, my tech is going to take it apart and clean it. Should be about $40. It will take about an hour."
8) Wife picks motor up and brings it home. New rivets, brushes soldered in and commutator as shiny as a new penny. AND all I needed to do was install the springs and clips. Great Service and exceeding my expectations - PRICELESS!

From a service level on Philbin, they are a family owned business on its 4th generation. This is their business and passion. I suggest if you are interested in a Blower motor solution, give them a call or hit their Web site. NOTE: they were clear and straightforward that this motor won't last forever, but it is entirely possible I'll get 2-4 more years out of it. I was very satisfied because I'm not sure I could have purchased a used & questionable motor for the same money and I'll bet that this repair will indeed last close to 4yrs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good story. you got lucky and found an old fashion electrical shop. You should get 10 years or more out of the repair.

I did mine in my 2000 for $20 worth of eBay parts.....commutator was OK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just replaced mine with a brand new one bit I am still having similar issues where the thing starts briefly but then it will start squiling and making noise and eventually stop working. What is option two after I replace the fan but it fails to fix it ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just replaced mine with a brand new one bit I am still having similar issues where the thing starts briefly but then it will start squiling and making noise and eventually stop working. What is option two after I replace the fan but it fails to fix it ?
find out what is wrong with the one you put in. Did you bench test it? Better take it out and test it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts