SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So my blower motor works, but the plug gets EXTREMELY hot. It melted a good part of the plug. It wasn't working for a few days so that is how I ended up taking it apart and finding out about the plug being burnt. I cleaned it up and plugged it back in. When I have the fan on, you can feel the wire get extremely hot to the point you can't even touch it.

I need to figure out why this is happening. From physics, I know its caused by extra resistance in the circuit. I just don't know where it is coming from. Is the resistor piece that is causing the extra load? Or is the motor shot? The motor still spins so I know it isn't seized up or anything.

Just need to figure out what to replace, hate throwing parts at it without an idea.

Thanks guys!

Pics for reference:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Probably the motor. Have you ever found wetness on the passenger side carpet? The foam seal behind the cabin air filter housing (at the base of the windshield) fails and allows water to run into the HVAC air inlet and over the fan's bearings. The bearings (and commutator) rust and eventually the fan can no longer spin.

You may be able to get some additional life from it by removing the cabin filter and lubing the fan shaft/upper bearing. The fan's lower bearing is tough to see under the dash but you can spray lube into a couple of vent holes there. At a minimum, replace the deteriorated foam seal with a thick bead of silicone or RTV sealant.

·
Super Moderator
20,194 Posts
new motor

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the motor. Have you ever found wetness on the passenger side carpet? The foam seal behind the cabin air filter housing (at the base of the windshield) fails and allows water to run into the HVAC air inlet and over the fan's bearings. The bearings (and commutator) rust and eventually the fan can no longer spin.

You may be able to get some additional life from it by removing the cabin filter and lubing the fan shaft/upper bearing. The fan's lower bearing is tough to see under the dash but you can spray lube into a couple of vent holes there. At a minimum, replace the deteriorated foam seal with a thick bead of silicone or RTV sealant.
I did have water on the passenger side carpet a few years ago. Cleaned out the drain and fixed that foam seal with RTV sealant. So I don't know if this is a continuation from that or just the motor dying.
new motor
But as per Diggs recommendation, I am going to ordering a new motor and get it in asap. Down here in FL I need AC in winter xD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts