SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2000 9-5 wagon. My blower motor doesn't run but it spins freely. I have checked the power to the motor. It has at least 12volts. When I cycle through the fan speeds there is no change in voltage. If I'm getting power to the fan, shouldn't it run? Could it be the resistor, because there is no voltage changes, or is it both the resistor and the blower? How do I find the resistor on this particular car? Thanks

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I would start by checking the brushes, a common failure on the motor and cheap to replace. The resistor is a much more expensive part and you have to get to the motor anyway to remove the resistor.

I once read that if you gound the motor body it will run at 100%, but check on this procedure first.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
  1. If your blower motor will run on High Speed only, the resistor has failed.
  2. If your blower motor won't run on any speed, the blower motor has failed.
The resistor is only used for the low and medium speeds, how ever many there are. High speed is achieved by by-passing the resistor completely and runing full battery voltage directly to the motor.

·
Registered
927 Posts
  1. If your blower motor will run on High Speed only, the resistor has failed.
  2. If your blower motor won't run on any speed, the blower motor has failed.
The resistor is only used for the low and medium speeds, how ever many there are. High speed is achieved by by-passing the resistor completely and runing full battery voltage directly to the motor.
NOT ENTIRELY true about if your blower motor runs on high speed only... It can cut out completely due to the unit shorting out. My blower motor ran high speed only for couple seconds here and there, other then that, completely dead.

Also, you can get a resistor from a junk yard from a low mile car and be fine, think i spent $20 bux vs new one for $149

1 - 5 of 5 Posts