SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 93 conv. With 2.0. Red and brown wire going to the connector/resister. Red is hot and brown wire does not show ground. On the motor side of the connector/resister there are a blue and black wires. When connected and on all four wires on each side of the connector/resister is hot but not working. Disconnect and straight wire the motor (hot to blue and ground the black, fan works. Checked all relays and fuses. Has the motor internally grounded and therefore bad? If so why not blown fuse? Why does it work when straight wired? Bad motor? Bad connector/resister? Or both or something else? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Known issue with that car - sudden failure of the fan controller resistor/ballast. Sounds like you've already located it. You don't state your location - in the UK new ones are about £90, used seem to go for about £30 but becoming rare of course.

If you change it make sure you retain as much of that heat conducting white grease as possible - they run very hot as you've noted.

My 2002 controller failed at about 120K miles. The next (used) one lasted about 20K miles and the third (also used) was still going when it was written off. If you get a used one - are you feeling lucky?! However most cars at the scrap yard will have had the unit replaced anyway so its a gamble.

Doug

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had the exact same problem in my 2001 9-3 SE convertible. And that's exactly right there's a resistor that needs to be changed. It was a little difficult to find information on where it was. If you have a digital unit inside of the car that controls your heat the resistor will be on the passenger floor underneath the glove box to the left there's a little plastic Shield that you'll have to remove in the left corner of that carpet to be able to access it. I actually bought mine from EEuroparts.com and had to call them and actually located with someone on the phone. I know in the 99 without the digital control it actually is under the cowel and that's where I had originally look for mine. If I remember correctly I found the blower there but I didn't find the resistor. It was actually a little bit difficult to fix it the first time to figure it all out. I'm going to see if I can find a link to the part. RonR.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Aha. I had assumed the threadstarter had an ACC car. Basic AC - as Minirex says, it’s at the connector on the fan itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I hv a digital automatic ac. I pulled the glove box out and looked once before but did not really know what I was looking for. Are there pics anywhere? Thanks again for everyone’s help.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
In the pic from the link in the previous post. The rectangular part with two screw holes is visible as long as you've also removed the curved rigid plastic cover mentioned above. The resistor is about 2" x 1". Suggest needle nose pliers to release the clips on the connector above.

Doug

·
Registered
280 Posts
You don't have to pull out the glove box. Sit down in the passenger seat your left foot push it all the way up on the carpet as far as you can go. That's where it is behind your left foot. If you get down there and look you're going to see that there's a kick plate a little black plastic plate with a single screw holding it in in the center. Unscrew that plate and then just look. That picture in the link I put is exactly what it looks like and it's screwed did something else if you look at the square box it's got a hole in it and that's for the screw to go right through it it's got a wire to with a connector. So when you look down there look for something with a longer wire in a connector and a little square box on the end of it it's not too hard to find when you know what you're looking for and pretty much exactly where it is just take a few minutes peek around and you'll see it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you want to pull the glove box just to make it easier to get in there considering how easy it is to pull the glove box it's not a big deal but the actual piece it's not behind the glove box it

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Might be able to unscrew the rectangular unit without removing the glove box, but I challenge you to release the connector!

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts