SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its seems that the 9-3 that i purchased for the steal of the century, is a little quirky. Picture this, raining hard, really hard, carrying a heavy futon, press remote trunk opener......pull up on spoiler with futon balencing on knee, and NOTHING.. does not even budge.. lock is making "normal noise" seems to be caught on somthing?? but after visual inspection, I stil can not see the prob...anyone else, or any ideas??:roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
Yeah, the remote button does not actually "pop" the hatch, it only unlocks it. You still need to use the button to pop it and then open it.

Sorry but the mental image I have of you trying to open the trunk with the spoiler in the pouring rain and cursing the "steal of the century" is funny:p ...if only because this will not entail a costly repair:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
You should hear a slight click when pushing the interior hatch switch.

This is what I try to remember to do prior to loading big stuff...
If no click, something needs to be adjusted, or there is a relay problem...or a switch that has become inoperative..
Always something to fix, either the car or the home or something else...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, now its comical....

Please do laugh, i feel like an moron. Its just that my 900 actually pops the trunk, and i pull it up with the spoiler, so you can imagine how (miffed) sp? I was with the wifes 9 -3. thanks guys..ill give it another try this arvo.
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I wonder why it doesn't pop it open...

Now I think about it, all of my other cars I had do pop the trunk open when button is used or even the key is used. That would make it easier...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
Melovesha said:
spoiler doesn't open the trunk... the little latch above the license plate does.
What little latch ??
The 900ng has no little latch
All a man has to do is either use the key or push the switch on the left side door.
And then lift
Works nigh perfectly, the one on the '97 functions a bit better..

For the "old generation 9-3", this must be one of the 10,000 "improvements" .... And this may be better if in low crime areas, a man has the option of manually locking his trunk - the way the old Saabs and many Euro cars were..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, really "good" improvement...

I have to agree, but locking the trunk and having a latch is still silly, the remote fob can pop the 900 and then when your done set the alarm..bingo. I see no improvment whatsoever. but hey its a SAAB. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
This seems to be one of those things that Saab likes to tinker with. On my '86 C900 you had latch and several locking options on the trunk. You could set it so it locked/unlocked with the doors or you could set it so it would lock/unlock with the only the key. Of course I didn't know this so I rode around for a month locking doors but not the trunk.



I like that the trunk doesn't automatically pop up when you hit unlock on the 9-3. I have accidentally hit the button on the remote and because the latch I don't have to do anything, it relocks on its won in a few seconds. Of course the relock is a little annoying at first because the time isn't very long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,596 Posts
Maybe it's my imagination, but my ng900 also seems to relock itself. It does "pop" like earthworm says, but if I pop the trunk and then lock the drivers door, the trunk seems to lock itself back up. Maybe I'm confused/forgetful since I've never done it deliberately, but this definitely seems to be what's happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
JMarkert said:
Maybe it's my imagination, but my ng900 also seems to relock itself. It does "pop" like earthworm says, but if I pop the trunk and then lock the drivers door, the trunk seems to lock itself back up. Maybe I'm confused/forgetful since I've never done it deliberately, but this definitely seems to be what's happening.
I'd say the system is working correctly, JM
When I am loading/unloading, I just "pop" the trunk, the key stays where it belongs, in the ignition.
The Saab locking system is good..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,348 Posts
JMarkert said:
Maybe it's my imagination, but my ng900 also seems to relock itself. It does "pop" like earthworm says, but if I pop the trunk and then lock the drivers door, the trunk seems to lock itself back up. Maybe I'm confused/forgetful since I've never done it deliberately, but this definitely seems to be what's happening.
But it won't 'relock' if you don't lock your doors, I don't think. If you lock the car with the key, it will lock everything, including the fuel filler door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After experimenting with my 900, the trunk does not relock, even if i lock the doors. hmmm. but then again its a 95-96. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
NC900TSE said:
After experimenting with my 900, the trunk does not relock, even if i lock the doors. hmmm. but then again its a 95-96. :roll:
I don't think it re-locked in those years, my dad has a 94 and I had a 97 (my mom's now), neither of which did the re-lock. However, my Viggen does the relock when I have opened and closed the trunk and then lock the car, or drive start driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Ok, im pretty sure i have the answer to this one. I once had the same problem where i would pop the trunk, then it will magically relock. It turns out there are two little nubs on the underside of the hatch when you open it which will end up in the area between the insulation and the body of the car when its closed. They look like they are just rubber nubs, but you can actually adjust them by screwing them out a little bit, until when you pop the trunk, it will stay open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
NC900TSE said:
After experimenting with my 900, the trunk does not relock, even if i lock the doors. hmmm. but then again its a 95-96. :roll:
Yes, it does regardless of whether your doors are locked or not.

Ta-ta, janusz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
DougR said:
Yeah, the remote button does not actually "pop" the hatch, it only unlocks it. You still need to use the button to pop it and then open it.

Sorry but the mental image I have of you trying to open the trunk with the spoiler in the pouring rain and cursing the "steal of the century" is funny:p ...if only because this will not entail a costly repair:)
What button?:confused: When I unlock my trunk all I have to do is to lift the gate, but I do not have to press any button, since none exists; and if I leave the gate down for about three minutes, the system will relock it.

Ta-ta, janusz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
philosophicaldreamer said:
Yes, it does regardless of whether your doors are locked or not.

Ta-ta, janusz
Actually your wrong, MY saab 900 SE the trunk does NOT lock back after I press the BUTTON ON THE REMOTE, for the trunk to unlock and "POP." I also have a button on the drivers side door under the armrest that "POPS" the trunk, will not relock, regardless if t I have waited, locked the doors or started driving. Will only lock if lifted up and closed again manually.......:nono;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
NC900TSE said:
Actually your wrong, MY saab 900 SE the trunk does NOT lock back after I press the BUTTON ON THE REMOTE, for the trunk to unlock and "POP." I also have a button on the drivers side door under the armrest that "POPS" the trunk, will not relock, regardless if t I have waited, locked the doors or started driving. Will only lock if lifted up and closed again manually.......:nono;
Damn, you are correct.;oops: I guess I was thinking of my Volvo that locks itself automatically. Oh well . . . not the first time I made a fool out of myself:cheesy:

Thanks.
Ta-ta, janusz
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top