SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_161386686334F.jpg
Blocked cat
Is it cheapest to cut open the catalyst converters, remove contents and weld it up.
We have no emissions testing in Hawaii.

Suggestions please.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are 2 cats. You marked the second one. The first cat is at the very start of the downpipe. Cheapest way would be to cut out the cats, sell them, then have someone weld in a section of pipe. You might even make some money on it. However, you would also get a permanent check engine light. On some cars using O2 spacers will trick the car into thinking the cats are working. I don't know if this trick works on saabs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice job gettin those things outta there! Doesn't seem to be ANY (besides normal surface) rust on that 2 cat assembly. If that's what the exhaust system looks like, the rest of the car must be in really great condition, yes? Why not spend the money, buy the proper replacement parts, install them and have your Saab's exhaust system in tip top shape? No CEL, no funky pipes welded in and no computer hackery, trying to "trick" the car into "thinking" it has 2 cats?
If only the 2nd cat is "bad" (bad cat...heh heh), a replacement could easily be welded in by any "competent" muffler shop. Your pipes are in such good condition, I'd just try to get the 1 bad cat and have it spliced in. How much could it be? You should be able to find a shop the does this kind of thing all day, every day......no big deal. IMHO, well worth it, especially considering the condition of your car. Only my opinion and 2 cents......(and, assuming a LOT about the condition of your car).
Good luck!

If you haven't already looked........

More Information for WALKER 53434

·
Registered
190 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Whoa, thats the cheapest I've ever seen the downpipe/cats for a saab 9-5. Almost want to pick one up just in case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought, too! Keep in mind, it's from Canada and the seller doesn't have the greatest feedback rating. However, they do accept returns so, there's that. He does have a lot of positive feedback/happy customers, if you check. Also keep in mind, with shipping, gonna be about 200 clams. I'm in no way recommending this seller, just trying to show some options and what might be available "out there".
I just had the flex pipe replaced, on an 03 9-3 4 cyl, at a local muffler shop. Could've bought the down pipe w'flex coupling, from RockAuto for $75. Then would've had to find/pay someone to install it. You can buy couplers, tubing, expanders, reducers, etc. Then lay around under your car tryin to make it all work. Probably end up with a crappy job. The shop I used was able to splice in just the flex coupler for $190. Thought it was a great deal and saved me a ton of headaches trying to get all done myself. Sometimes it's just not worth playin around, trying to save a little money. ESPECIALLY, when it comes to important systems such as the exhaust. Leave to the pro's. It's worth it. Just like plumbing.....hahahaha One wrong move and you're flooding out your house (in the middle of the night, or over the weekend, or when you're not home). I don't mess around with carbon monoxide!
Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

the top one cleaned out real easy. But

when I pressure tested with a reversed vacuum the 2nd cat is blocked. so

its off to the welder in the morning

and see how long it'll take to get the CA ebay unit shippped to Hawaii.

Whats thast honeycomb stuff worth anyway?

·
Registered
276 Posts
In the form of dust and broken into small pieces......probably nothing. Most cat recyclers buy in bulk. Some will buy single units, but most want a bunch. Doubtful any would buy the broken up contents of a converter. They want the complete, undamaged cat.
Use caution and care when handling that dust. Avoid breathing it. It contains Palladium, Rhodium and other metals that are best avoided by human contact (unless properly protected).

·
Registered
276 Posts
The "precious metals" have to be extracted from the honeycomb material. On average, there's about 4 grams of precious metal in a cat. 28 grams in an ounce. You'll not get that price, though.
The extraction process requires toxic/hazardous chemicals. Different procedures for the different metals. Not a job for amateurs or one you'd want to undertake in your garage.....

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
The first cat on my 07 was in pieces causing a misfire. I put on a Krona DP and it made a huge difference on the performance. I do have an open filter, forge bypass valve, and an off-the-shelf Brew City Boost tune, as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts