SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 900 Turbo. I read some previous posts regarding block heaters (pre-warming the engine in cold weather). Any ideas on other types of heaters, e.g. oil dipstick; magnetic, wrap, etc.?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I have a 1985 900 Turbo. I read some previous posts regarding block heaters (pre-warming the engine in cold weather). Any ideas on other types of heaters, e.g. oil dipstick; magnetic, wrap, etc.?
block heater is pretty good. Oil heater on the pan is hard to do because the gearbox is in the way and there is no space for it.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
When I lived in Winterpeg we had the block heater, a battery wrap heater and another one of those that we lay over the top of the engine so the fuel rails didn't freeze up and the top end was freed up on start up. We're talking for -20c and colder. Otherwise just the block heater was fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies; I'm nursing this old car along and I'm leery of things breaking (like corroded plugs/block heater access, etc). A friend suggested a heater in line with a radiator hose. If anyone knows pros or cons on this, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Before I installed a block heater, I used one of those magnetic heaters attached to the bottom of the skid plate. That car normally sat outside and it worked fine although obviously not as user friendly as you had to unplug and detach it off the car before driving.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Just put a regular block heater

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keeping options open; does the installation of the block heater require a special tool, a special procedure, or any special precautions?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Keeping options open; does the installation of the block heater require a special tool, a special procedure, or any special precautions?
Not really. I think it (the Saab one) just screws into the block drain fitting under the exhaust. If anything it would be by far the easiest option.

Other normal/aftermarket types of block heater fit into the freeze plugs. I would also say these are easy to install, and in the block is the most effective IMO

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK; I found a heater locally, around $32. Shop estimate $200 & cost plus.
Found a diagram on Saab Central and an earlier post, this forum, basically, "approach from beneath with a 22cm & universal". Does anyone know if the plug/bolt should remove easy?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The idea seemed so simple. Having researched this quite a bit by now, it seems to reach the plug, easiest done if a hoist is available and it can take choice words and a little coaxing to loosen. I'm going to review this with a friend, and with parts in hand, either: 1) use an in-line radiator heater or the 2) the block heater, depending our combined assesment & tool availability. The car starts fine to about zero and otherwise takes ten minutes to warm up. It's the minus 20F days that I need to address. OK, thanks for the input. All very helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know for sure whether the block heater specified for a 9-3 will fit the mount in a classic 900? If not, is there any good way of sourcing one?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thanks for the replies; I'm nursing this old car along and I'm leery of things breaking (like corroded plugs/block heater access, etc). A friend suggested a heater in line with a radiator hose. If anyone knows pros or cons on this, I'd appreciate it.
I used a line heater in an old Scout. Installed in the lower radiator hose (which I think there's room on the 900 as well) the heated coolant rises up through the block creating circulation. Worked well for me--the bonus is you have near instant cabin heat/defrost. It's easy to install (just cut out a section of hose) and you can take it with you when you replace the car...
I used to go up to Clear AFS for work--you're in a nice part of the woods!

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
I'd see if the freeze plug is the same part # to see if the heater will fit.
I can also endorse the lower hose heater. I used mine on a household timer to start 2 hours before I left for work. It's less efficient but quick & dirty and very effective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts