SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been doing some research on this blinking light on my dash and can't seem to find an answer. I cant recall if the light has always been on, or i just started noticing it, but its blinking non-stop whenever the car is running.

My mechanic didn't know either... Is it anything to worry about?

I included a picture so you know what im talking about.
Its a little arrow pointing to the right right with a round do after it.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g235/llmarshll/?action=view&current=14cockpit.gif

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi

That is telling you that you have 212 miles (km) to empty as I recall.
When I drove 9000 models I always had that display showing battery voltage but you can cycle it to show many different things (as you know)
That one is miles to go

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

That is telling you that you have 212 miles (km) to empty as I recall.
When I drove 9000 models I always had that display showing battery voltage but you can cycle it to show many different things (as you know)
That one is miles to go

That is what I initially thought. When I cycle through mpg, voltage, miles left in tank & air temperature, the blinking arrow remains there and blinks on whatever is being displayed.
This is not mentioned in the owners manual and I cant find ANYTHING online about what this indicates.
Anybody else got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Mmm
I am not 100% sure here but this may explain it.
As I recall (not had a 9000 for a couple of years), the flashing arrow will pop up irrespective of what is showing when the furl tank gets to a low level.
Auto warning if you like that there is 50mls to go even if you are displaying voltage. That way it brings low fuel to your attention.

Now, yours appears to come on even though there is over 200 mls to go. I wonder if the set point is perhaps adjustable and for some reason it is showing even though the tank is quite full?

I don't recall there being that option but will have a look in the owners manual if I can find one for the 9000. I am sure I still have one somewhere

Edit. Ok, found a manual. It states there that the arrow will flash when the distance to go drops to around 30mls whatever display you are showing.There is no mention of that set point being changed however. My guess is a possible fault in the trip unit itself. Have you another you could swap it for to see what happens ?
Have you simply tried resetting the current one back to all zeros ?

BTW, that does say 212 miles to go in the pic doesn't it ? If it says 21.2 I would simply say to add some fuel :)))))

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mmm
I am not 100% sure here but this may explain it.
As I recall (not had a 9000 for a couple of years), the flashing arrow will pop up irrespective of what is showing when the furl tank gets to a low level.
Auto warning if you like that there is 50mls to go even if you are displaying voltage. That way it brings low fuel to your attention.

Now, yours appears to come on even though there is over 200 mls to go. I wonder if the set point is perhaps adjustable and for some reason it is showing even though the tank is quite full?

I don't recall there being that option but will have a look in the owners manual if I can find one for the 9000. I am sure I still have one somewhere

Edit. Ok, found a manual. It states there that the arrow will flash when the distance to go drops to around 30mls whatever display you are showing.There is no mention of that set point being changed however. My guess is a possible fault in the trip unit itself. Have you another you could swap it for to see what happens ?
Have you simply tried resetting the current one back to all zeros ?

BTW, that does say 212 miles to go in the pic doesn't it ? If it says 21.2 I would simply say to add some fuel :)))))

Ahh appreciate it twoturbos, this addresses the issue. I omitted the fact that my fuel sending unit is shot and my fuel gauge is stuck on empty with the fuel light on which is probably causing this light to flash because the miles till i run out of gas feature currently reads "-- --".
The image I posted is not of my actual vehicle, but just as a reference to what the arrow looks like. I thought i was some funny little warning light like that, once I get around to putting in the new sending unit, this should clear it up. Just thought i'd ask, blinking lights on my dashboard scare me :roll:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That explains it.
Regarding fuel guage. You haven't had the fuel pump out recently have you ?
The float is very 'fussy' as to where it lies and if only a little out can then catch on the side of the tank meaning it gets stuck, usually on the bottom.

I have known many an owner have the pump replaced only to find the fuel guage suddenly doesn't work. Even some fitted by a garage :-(
Loosen the pump ring and turn the pump slightly right or left until the guage reads again.

Apologies if none of the above applies in this case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sending unit stopped working before the fuel pump went out. Lost gauge about 4 months ago, and ironically the fuel pump went out when the tires were being changed last week, had to bang on the fuel tank for the pump to kick on to get it home. Never had a problem with it before and it was getting the volts it needed.

The fuel pump was taken out completely and a new one put in, and still no gas readings, not even a flicker.
Might go the junk yard and snag a used one or just go with one of the universal fittings. Not sure yet, they will be around the same price I assume.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts