SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
03 9-3 Blinkers going crazy and head light out notification

Ok so the other day the wife reported that she was made aware by the center console that her head light was out. I know sometimes this could be a head light bulb but I remember that there is also head light power packs.
Just looking for some advise

A couple of days later (TODAY) she called me to tell me that her blinker will not shut off. After playing around with it for a while she pushed it to the right position and it shut the left blinker off. But then the right button would not work. She went into the store, came out and every thing is working properly.

Looking for some advise on this also. Common issue, electrical contact issue? Any help would be great.

Besides for all that, I still have a rear window regulator to fix, a leak into my fan motor, the head light, and the blinker issue. I dont have the money right now but I might have to get rid of it.

Thanks Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,362 Posts
H7 halogen bulbs or hid(d2s),if halogen check the bulb connector for heat/corrosion damage on the brown wires..no idea what you mean about power packs:confused:..

sounds like the cim is developing a fault..:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Ya I knew something melted in relation to the wires for the head light assembly in the past. I just wanst sure what it was called. Didnt realize it was just the connectors. This should be easy enough to figure out.

But the blinkers were acting up again tonight. What do you think it could be and how do I fix it ? Main computer ? Im going to do some searching right now.. THanks any info would be great !

·
Registered
223 Posts
First thing i would do would be to start the car put all the lights on and walk around the whole car to see what lights are out. Then turn the the signal lights on and see what one is out. In my car when one of the turn signal lights went it blinked really fast then when i pulled the bulb out the green arrow on the dash stayed lit till i put another bulb back in the socket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I did some research. I need to make sure all the lights are working. I also found that the issue can be due to the wire harness being melted. Ill get back to you with my findings.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you determine the turn switch is no gouda, these can be replaced fairly easily without CIM replacement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so as an update. I went to change my low beam light and thought I had to remove the head light to do so. I found that I cant get the head light out without removing the bumper. So i just squeezed my hand in there and tried to remove the bulb. While wiggling the connections it started working again. So im thinking it was a bad connection. We will see.

As for the blinker, the left signal is staying on. I figured it to be the switch because both blinkers work with the hazards on. I tried to take the switch out. I removed that leather piece from the steering wheel by sliding it down, but could not get the plastic off to even expose the blinker switch. I was hoping to spray it with some contact cleaner but I cant get it off. Any advise would be great. I got really mad and moved the blinker up and down really fast to try and get the blinker back in action. It worked. I'm thinking that the contacts in the switch just needed a jiggle.

So I fixed both things for now by moving my contacts. Lets see how long this will last. Oh my battery died during all of this. Im charging it now. With my luck it probably just happened to die for good.

Anyways any help on getting the blinker switch off for the future would be great.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
675 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened with my indicators ( blinkers ) a couple of years ago, I had to have a new CIM unit ( mucho £ ) :cry:

·
Registered
782 Posts
The CIM still has to come off to open it and replace the turn (or wiper) switch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
no idea what you mean about power packs:confused:..

sounds like the cim is developing a fault..:(
I'm guessing he meant the headlight ballasts.

As far as removing the CIM, search on youtube for key fob replacement. There is a good video showing how to remove the steering wheel to get to the CIM and remove it (you'd have to send in the CIM if you've lost all keys to get a key/keys programmed for your car). Hope that helps if the fault comes back.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Thanks guys, Still working strong with no problems after I moved the lever around like crazy !
Where the blinker stalk meets the CIM, there is a little pin/button whatever under the base of the lever. Push the pin in and the blinker handle gets released from the CIM, with the battery disconnected spray some contact cleaner on the stems connection and into it's socket on CIM. Wait for it to dry, put the stalk back in and reconnect the batery. If the headlight worked when you wiggled it you need to replace the overheated connectors, they're gonna melt if it hasn't already. They are 10 bucks the saabsite i think. Better now then have to mess with it in the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts