SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 9000 Aero

Hi everyone , i replaced the DOT orange turn signal / parking lamp lenses with clear euro lenses. These Euro lenses do not have the additional reverse light bulb (which is fine with me). Hence there is only one bulb socket seat as opposed to two on the DOT lenses. The lenses installed easily and I slightly modified the old socket to fit the new euro housing / lens.

The problem is now when my headlights are on my right turn signal is constantly lit, including the side marker light. Both are on the entire time and the blinker arrow on the dash is constantly lit . One other detail of note is the new bulb is an LED and I have not been able to install the left side bulb yet , as I am missing the socket. What’s causing this constant on situation ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright so more investigating .... with the headlights off ... if I turn the blinker on the headlights flash ! If the headlights are on, the side marker is illuminated full time but no light or response from the turn signal when the turn lever is engaged. If I unplug the bulb at the turn signal the side marker lights and turn signals work properly ...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this because of the lower current draw of the led? I was also wondering if I need some sort of dual filament led to match the two filaments of the OEM incandescent bulbs... which as far as I’ve read play the dual role of parking light and turn signal by utilizing different filaments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know how the lighting circuit drives it yet on these cars but I suspect it's using something similar to canbus to gauge resistance on each of the circuits and detect bulb outages. If so, then you may need to have a different resistance setup for the LEDs especially if you've a whole bulb out of the circuit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as dual filament, you will need resistance on each of those circuits if they are now separate LEDs. You may need to go with a dual-function LED 3157 versus 3156 for example.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as dual filament, you will need resistance on each of those circuits if they are now separate LEDs. You may need to go with a dual-function LED 3157 versus 3156 for example.
So this seems like at least part of the problem , checked the led (which was supposed to match the car) and it’s an 1156. Just purchased a set of 1157 and we’ll see how those work .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts