·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And lastly this is the compressor and housing I went with.
Sorry forgot the exhaust wheel.

·
Registered
806 Posts
A few thoughts...
The automatic transmission cars are ECU limited to ~225 ft-lbs of torque to protect the gearbox. You clearly have access to tuning software, just know that the auto box will not hold up to big torque numbers. For that matter the manuals aren't great either. It's a shame these super tough motors are mated to such flimsy transmissions.

Definitely read through the TrollTuner blog that Bob mentioned, lots of testing on the dyno to confirm which upgrades you actually need to get to certain power levels, if I recall the stock airbox isn't a restriction until north of 350 horsepower.

The damaged compressor wheel fins in your pictures have nothing to do with EGT, the bearings in that turbo failed and allowed the compressor wheel to contact the housing. I saw you mentioned the turbo had in and out play to begin with, sounds like it was already on its way out and would have suffered the same fate whether the car was tuned or not. You may want to check your oil pressure to make sure that oil starvation did not contribute to the turbo bearing failure.

No need for the fuel pressure regulator at this point in the game. High flow fuel pump and some 1000cc injectors will get you more than enough fuel to match that turbo. Of course the ECU will need to be recalibrated for the larger injectors and the 3bar FPR you already installed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A few thoughts...
The automatic transmission cars are ECU limited to ~225 ft-lbs of torque to protect the gearbox. You clearly have access to tuning software, just know that the auto box will not hold up to big torque numbers. For that matter the manuals aren't great either. It's a shame these super tough motors are mated to such flimsy transmissions.

Definitely read through the TrollTuner blog that Bob mentioned, lots of testing on the dyno to confirm which upgrades you actually need to get to certain power levels, if I recall the stock airbox isn't a restriction until north of 350 horsepower.

The damaged compressor wheel fins in your pictures have nothing to do with EGT, the bearings in that turbo failed and allowed the compressor wheel to contact the housing. I saw you mentioned the turbo had in and out play to begin with, sounds like it was already on its way out and would have suffered the same fate whether the car was tuned or not. You may want to check your oil pressure to make sure that oil starvation did not contribute to the turbo bearing failure.

No need for the fuel pressure regulator at this point in the game. High flow fuel pump and some 1000cc injectors will get you more than enough fuel to match that turbo. Of course the ECU will need to be recalibrated for the larger injectors and the 3bar FPR you already installed.
I had the transmission rebuilt with upgraded parts from the spiker transmission by a guy in BC. I will upload pics and parts list later for anyone that my want to follow in my footsteps. Work was not to expensive, hardest part was sourcing the parts and the rebuild kit. The trans is no longer ecu controlled and was bypassed with the tech 2 and a couple of sensors had to be grounded to keep it from going limp. So far I enjoy it however it was a learning curve, ie. When she shifts it feels as if a clutch has been depressed, you feel a very noticeable disengagement before the shift. Very similar to the smart car with the auto clutch trans.

I plan to install a gated sequential shifter shortly, already ordered from Hurst just waiting for them to finish making the bracket.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ah, glad to hear you dealt with the transmission. Very interesting as well, auto transmissions are one of the few items on these cars that I haven't really explored, I'll certainly be checking in when you get a chance to make a thread about it. Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ah, glad to hear you dealt with the transmission. Very interesting as well, auto transmissions are one of the few items on these cars that I haven't really explored, I'll certainly be checking in when you get a chance to make a thread about it. Cheers
It is nice but I do miss having the capability to just put it in drive.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I tried to rebuild a manual Jeep trans a few years back after installing a "refurbished" trans. Had the factory manual, Dad worked with me. No dice out of my league, probably some out of spec parts (ebay) according to the trans guy that rebuilt it afterwords. Automatics - work by voo-doo except for a fluid change.

This is a transmission related story.

My Dad was very, very, extra meticulous about the tool cleanup for the Jeep trans rebuild very night, we double checked them to be sure. He was always clean and organized, but not to this point, so I finally asked him about it. When he was a teenager, he just finished some trans work on his '49 Merc. He fires it up and hears horrible noises from the trans. He left a socket in the trans and didn't realize it. Shuts it down, goes to jack it up and is so po'd he didn't realize he had the jack under the oil pan. Jacks it up and you guessed, oil everywhere. He had a wicked temper back then. My Grandmother watches this unfold in the driveway and quietly locks the back door and walks away.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts