SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went stage 2 and the t25 could not handle it. I have spent the last few days building a td04-20T and tearing the Vig clone apart to make her better.

Decided to go ahead and do some more......
Deka injectors,
344gph fuel pump,
upgrade map sensor,
Full a/c delete,
Full straight pipe turbo back.
She should be running tomorrow and I will take some vids, pushing for stage 4-5 have to finish building the tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was wondering if you had one... the fins on your turbo look melted. your EGT was WAYYYY to high. I wouldn't tune for stage 4 right away if I were you. wait till u get the egt installed so you can get a base line measurement. also from what I've read its supposed to be installed before the turbo. like on the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw I see you have the stock intake pipe. you might have a hard time getting to air you are requesting for stage 4.
I planned to do a different intake by running straight off the turbo and putting the cone in the fog light location. I removed the whole A/C system in prep for this but the water pump blocks the line. Working on my creative powers right now....🍺🍺🍺....I might order the spacer from GS to bring out the manifold and give enough clearance to run a 3 inch straight intake.

Have not done to much research into the egt, in saying that I did buy a manifold off a friend that had a hole just before the turbo mount. Would make sense that it would be for an egt. But manifold was for a big Garrett turbo. Might cut the flange and weld on the td04 flange, depends on how much I drink tonight.

As for the old turbo (t25) it already had in and out play but thought I could limp it longer🤷‍♂️.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going through a very similar issue with my b205R right now. I'll be following your thread and look forward to seeing you make some progress! What FPR are you using 3.0 bar, 3.5, 3.8?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going through a very similar issue with my b205R right now. I'll be following your thread and look forward to seeing you make some progress! What FPR are you using 3.0 bar, 3.5, 3.8?
Currently running a 3.0 but have an electronic variable fpr for when I get the tuning issues worked out (posted in another thread).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
I've heard the same thing on EGT's - measure as close to the output as you can. I don't know if that rule applies to a wideband, which is an indirect way (although most guys use it) to guess EGT. You can actually measure EGT directly as well as AFR if you're up for two gauges.

As for intake size, I haven't seen it discussed much as a choke point with the TD04 aside from using the King Cobra. 3" won't hurt, but you probably don't need that much. Nick T might have some scientific results (dyno) out at the trolltuner site.

Do you have a larger exhaust housing i.e. 6cm^2? Everything I've heard is that running even a 19T with a 5cm^2 housing will give you high EGT's. The big wheel is a lot to push and with the smaller housing the heat is going to back up. The usual solution is a clipped wheel. I'm no expert, so do your own research.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard the same thing on EGT's - measure as close to the output as you can. I don't know if that rule applies to a wideband, which is an indirect way (although most guys use it) to guess EGT. You can actually measure EGT directly as well as AFR if you're up for two gauges.

As for intake size, I haven't seen it discussed much as a choke point with the TD04 aside from using the King Cobra. 3" won't hurt, but you probably don't need that much. Nick T might have some scientific results (dyno) out at the trolltuner site.

Do you have a larger exhaust housing i.e. 6cm^2? Everything I've heard is that running even a 19T with a 5cm^2 housing will give you high EGT's. The big wheel is a lot to push and with the smaller housing the heat is going to back up. The usual solution is a clipped wheel. I'm no expert, so do your own research.
The TD04 I went with is a clipped 9 fin exhaust wheel in the 6cm
I plan on doing the intake straight from turbo to passenger fog lamp area for a number of reasons, most boredom with the traditional setup. Having a t5 not governed by a maf allows this, should help spool and should sound amazing.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
The TD04 I went with is a clipped 9 fin exhaust wheel in the 6cm
I plan on doing the intake straight from turbo to passenger fog lamp area for a number of reasons, most boredom with the traditional setup. Having a t5 not governed by a maf allows this, should help spool and should sound amazing.
Sounds good. Thought I had a 6cm lined up but it didn't pan out. Keeping my eyes open all the time for one from a 9000 at a reasonable price.

Any special tools needed for the rebuild? I have to do mine sooner or later.

I used to run my T5 to the stock box with a K&N and a short 3" snout down behind the headlight. Snout was a 3" OD PVC pipe secured into the box and a foot of old-school 3" air intake hose. Got cool outside air, kept it high enough to be out of the water, and threw plenty of turbo whine. If you go to the fog, at least work an AEM sock on there somewhere for water protection... unless this is a fair-day-only car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good. Thought I had a 6cm lined up but it didn't pan out. Keeping my eyes open all the time for one from a 9000 at a reasonable price.

Any special tools needed for the rebuild? I have to do mine sooner or later.

I used to run my T5 to the stock box with a K&N and a short 3" snout down behind the headlight. Snout was a 3" OD PVC pipe secured into the box and a foot of old-school 3" air intake hose. Got cool outside air, kept it high enough to be out of the water, and threw plenty of turbo whine. If you go to the fog, at least work an AEM sock on there somewhere for water protection... unless this is a fair-day-only car.
I highly recommend a good set of c clip spanner pliers, I have the Icon brand set from harbor freight and they work perfectly. Also a gallon jug of carb cleaner from the auto parts store, it has a little basket inside that let's you soak the parts overnight, making it easier to scrape off the carbon from shaft and chra.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
Thanks. How big is the snap ring? Are we talking like 1.5" or 3"? I have a good set that will do the smaller but I'd probably need some for the larger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. How big is the snap ring? Are we talking like 1.5" or 3"? I have a good set that will do the smaller but I'd probably need some for the larger.
The main ring that holds the compressor housing to the chra is 4 or 5 inch. I used 12" pliers to remove.

This is a good write up of the how to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The main ring that holds the compressor housing to the chra is 4 or 5 inch. I used 12" pliers to remove.

This is a good write up of the how to.

And this is the rebuild kit I used, It is an upgraded kit for higher pressure applications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And this is the rebuild kit I used, It is an upgraded kit for higher pressure applications.

And this is a very good video step by step for those of us to lazy to read:sleep:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts