SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Tricky one. I am trying to fix my very precious Saab 95 (117k) owned from new car. It is very special to me so I want to keep it running well.

I have (if you check the photos) this Error code for Both left and right motors. I have cracked the yellow plastic housing on the shaft for the motor flaps.

However, the plastic shaft is very solid and I can feel inside that is ok.

All I have done is cracked the head where the hexagonal (important) on the end of the stepper motor pushes on.

The white plastic arm is 100% fine as well.

What I need a new tip only on the yellow part or an end repair. However, I can find nobody on the internet with the same issue.

Also the repair metal shafts seem to be round inside and not hex head. Also clearly I have not actually cracked the arm so I cannot use this unless I somehow cut the yellow shaft (bit tricky).

I really need an expert. So any help appreciated.

It is also made a lot harder by the fact that before 2004 I think the motors were all different!
Also if anyone has some pictures of the metal arm installed I would really appreciate it as I have not got one in my hand and I cannot see the internal shape and if they are hexagonal or round!
http://saabworld.net/editpost.php?p=79451&do=editpost
Thanks

Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have managed to fix it a little.

I cut a small wedge from a really hard plastic tile spacer which I shaved down.

Then I pushed it really hard into the space as seen.

This enables the motor to not push out at least one side.

I am not sure it is perfect it I think it helped!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

Will this part not fix your problem. It’s works with a 2004. I used this part to fix my 1999 many years ago.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Is the problem on the motor end? I.e. if you take out the stepper motor, the problem goes with it?

If so, easiest thing is probably to find a couple of motors with good shafts. I actually have a couple from when I thought my earlier car had a blend door motor problem. I can take a look at how the plastic shaft comes off when I get a chance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stripped the whole cog unit down and regreased it is A1.

Motor seems fine. It's just the tiny cracked bit, but the wedge does hold it.

I put it all back together and I am afraid I could totally break it and then cost myself a fortune.

I can get hot and cold air con so I am living with it. I think it is partially broke. So the plan is not mess around too much I think .

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I guess my point is that if it's the motor assembly that's the problem, easy fix is to replace the entire motor. I got about six blend door motors for $20 at the junkyard (just pull the ones on the passenger side for ease).

Once you get into the guts of the HVAC module, it's a much bigger problem. As long as your fix doesn't harm anything beyond the replaceable motor assembly, you should be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I will have a try and picking one up. Problem is I am not wanting to take out the whole glove box etc now.(•‿•)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I faced a similar problem.... and yes, not a lot out there for a model year split in the blend door tube that changed in 2004....

but take a look at this... depending upon how cracked your hexagonal blend door shaft tube is, this should be the directed fix....worked for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I faced a similar problem.... and yes, not a lot out there for a model year split in the blend door tube that changed in 2004....

but take a look at this... depending upon how cracked your hexagonal blend door shaft tube is, this should be the directed fix....worked for me.
Super that looks good.

May have a go at that one!

I did see that but as this is my first time it's my first time it's so hard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the 2004 model years take a little extra figuring out regards the blend doors. good luck and go easy on you back as best you can down there in the footwells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have had a really good look high and low on the internet. How can it be that a small plastic longer hexagonal arm to fix the issue will cost be over £40 each and I think I need two of them!

That cannot be right.

I kind of wonder how much a bit of plastic can be.

Really frustrating.

I think I might just have to roll past a scrap yard and see if they have any of the little motors with one still on!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes there is a totally insane mark up on that part. Its an inch long (2.5mm) little piece of plastic. I did not find any alternative... But when i thought about how much time i had spent already fighting this issue and the absolute need for a/c on 100 degree days... i went for it. When the car was fixed... i didnt mind.

but its crazy.

I dont know if you would have any luck finding a motor with this piece on it, as saab made it specifically to address the technical bulletin issues about the cracked hex shaft.

model years 2006 and up, however, i believe had a motor with an improved arm... not sure the exact difference but a motor from a later model year might help. not sure though...

wish there was better news from my experience.

good luck either way.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
That longer arm is improved version and it is designed to break if something went down. Do not replace it with metal arm, it will break flap and it is much harder (and expensive) to replace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, yes I think I will just have to stump up. It is just frustrating as I took so long to work it out. Everyone else seemed to have a broken arm!

I think I have same issue on drivers side, and I took it apart once, and could not find anything, but clearly that is it, I might order both and try it out there first, then go back to the glove box, just such a faff!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are in the UK it seems that you can have the part for £33 inc vat. So I will dive in!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Isn't there some other fix, plasti-weld, blue-tac? Of course, as a 95 owner have had these broken on each vehicle.replaced once, but can we not just weld this sucker onto the shaft?

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
NO!
If you reinforce shaft, you will have other part cracked and usually they are more expensive and much harder to fix.

I have no broken shafts ever in my Saab 9-5s, but I have fixed several.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts