SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Having a bad week. MOT failure on '91 900, rear brake hoses (chassis to axle) and o/s handbrake. New hoses arrived very fast (thanks partsdorsaabs - excellent service). Had to drill out fitting on back axle as original nuts a corroded mess. No new nuts on island, so had to get 2 pipe nuts and cut them down. Finally back together after 4! days. So much for a three hour job.

After 4 days of soaking bleed nipples in WD40, no movement. Hitting with a hammer didn't free them. One of them has virtually dissapeared. Any ideas about how to bleed without using bleed nipples?

At least other posts here have given me probable solution to handbrake problem, how to adjust the caliper (adjusting cable has no affect, caliper arm is against end stop).

Many thanks

Steve

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Welcome to Saab central. You are going to have to get whats left of that nipple out of the calliper. At this point you might as well remove the calliper and get into a bench vice, then try extractors. I've had good sucess with left-hand drill bits.

·
4,637 Posts
You could bleed the caliper through the hose. You have to loosen the hose into the caliper, take the caliper off the hub, pack the piston against moving (so the bleeding process doesn't push it out), hang the caliper down from the hose and then bleed via the hose junction. It might be easier to bleed from the pipe to hose junction than at the caliper itself. In this process, because there's nothing pushing fluid through the caliper, bubbles might not be inclined to come out through the fairly small hose junction. Tapping the caliper might help here. At a pinch, take the caliper off, put it on a bench, pour fresh fluid in while extending the piston with the adjuster. Then retract the piston while tapping the caliper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help

Many thanks for the advice. I was pretty much going to do as you said, Grif. However, brake hose ends no longer have flats, caliper nuts a corroded mess.

Now buying a set of left hand drills, looking to have some fun next week.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts