SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a top coolant hose split and I lost probably most of the coolant. At this point I am going to replace hoses and the expansion tank. As far as bleeding the system I saw a recommended method on Thesaabsite.com
Should I follow this or is there any other methods? Since I'm just replacing hoses is it necessary ?
thank you .

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
When cold:
Open bleed screw
Pour in 1 gal. anti-freeze
Fill with water until it dribbles out the bleeder
Close bleeder and put cap on
Top it up when the fan has cycled twice

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I would pause on replacing the expansion tank unless you KNOW it's bad... modern replacements are not as good as the originals- they tend to have short, angry lives. Get a good/new cap, but I'd hang onto the original tank as long as humanly possible. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to replace all coolant parts and there is still SAAB original expansion tanks. woot..Mine is original and don't want any issues down the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When cold:
Open bleed screw
Pour in 1 gal. anti-freeze
Fill with water until it dribbles out the bleeder
Close bleeder and put cap on
Top it up when the fan has cycled twice

easy peesy ! thanks Jim!
and the bleeder is by the Tstat housing?
Also, You think I lost most of the coolant with the busted hose..?
buy a gallon then?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I'm trying to replace all coolant parts and there is still SAAB original expansion tanks. woot..Mine is original and don't want any issues down the road.

Maybe. A lot of "OE Saab" parts these days are made by ProParts. The ProParts tank is absolute garbage. Be sure it's the actual (original) Saab tank, and not the ProParts version sold for twice as much.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
easy peesy ! thanks Jim!
and the bleeder is by the Tstat housing?
Also, You think I lost most of the coolant with the busted hose..?
buy a gallon then?
If unsure, follow the same procedure with a 50/50 coolant mix.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
This is a 16v bleeder (big shiny thing is the AIC) but the 8V one is basically the same. Hold the base in place with one 11 mm spanner and crack the top and unscrew it a little by hand until air is heard being pushed out at coolant is added.

pic page

It doesn't get all the air out - that's why the hot/cold control needs to be open (half or more) when the engine is started after a coolant system interuption. There will also still be some air in the motor and the radiator and the radiator trapped air won't flush out until the thermostat opens and the bubbles come out the small hose into the coolant expansion tank.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I only want to replace the hose, not the expansion tank, so I wanted to keep the coolant. So what is the procedure. Which part of the hose should I release first, the one in the thermostate or the one in the radiator. I guess the hose is filled with liquid I can direct the liquid to a bin but how can I prevent of empty all the system? At the end of the procedure if I need to fill the tank (now is in the middle level) can I mix coolant as I cant remember the specification of the current coolant. One more thing in another thread of this forum another member has answer me that the system is selfbleeding, so do I need still bleed the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts