SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short replaced the slave cylinder in my 88 9k non turbo, iv been trying bleed the clutch and just can't figure it out. Im on a budget and cant afford vacuum bleeder. I tried the method of using a giant syringe and pushing the fluid threw. I have herd of the method of drilling a hole in the reservoir cap, putting a valve stem threw the hole and using a bicycle pump to pump the fluid threw.

can some one please tell me how to bleed the clutch, im at my wits end with this. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
A pressure bleeder is the best bet. Thats what mine was done with. only took about 20 mins. You dont need to drill anything to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I couldn't get mine to bleed with a Gunson, so I went the giant syringe route - I bought a 30cc/300ml one and brimmed it with fluid, attached a bit of plastic hose and pushed the plunger so the pipe was full of fluid too.

anyway, pop the pipe on the slave bleed screw and whip off the cap, crack the bleed nipple about a turn and slowly but firmly push the plunger, if you have been using the pump and hope method or a gunson (in my experience) you might get through a couple of syringes, but you will, if you have chosen your length of plastic pipe just right, see bubbles in the reservoir at first then a nice ripple like a really weak fountain, unless you have gone crazy on the plunger, then you need to repaint your engine bay, so go careful on the plunger!

anyway, once you have ripples and not bubbles, there should be no air in the pipes so lock off the nipple, replace the cap then remove the plastic pipe etc and give the pedal a go. should be good.

after an infuriating 2 hours of pumping and gunsoning the syringe and pipe (£1.75 in parts) got the car ready to rock in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have the syringe and the nipple is cracked open and the cap off and i cant push the fluid threw it seems impossible haha what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
put the cap back on and something around the bleed nipple pipe so you don't contaminate your clutch or pop the plastic pipe over and into a jar or bottleand have someone very slowly and gently press the clutch pedal in - fluid should come out of the nipple even if its a couple of spits rather than a stream? if not its either blocked or not cracked open enough - pushing fluid back through is a reasonable effort ie you'll need to use one hand to hold the syringe and the other to push the plunger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts