SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Time to get Putt Putt roadworthy for some driving this year. The brake fluid looked and has the consistency of motor oil, time to flush. I've successfully cracked all bleeders loose, however I cannot get any fluid out of the rear calipers. The front bleed properly, however nothing from either rear.
Possible blockage? Or am I doing something wrong?
Any help is appreciated!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Hello all,
Time to get Putt Putt roadworthy for some driving this year. The brake fluid looked and has the consistency of motor oil, time to flush. I've successfully cracked all bleeders loose, however I cannot get any fluid out of the rear calipers. The front bleed properly, however nothing from either rear.
Possible blockage? Or am I doing something wrong?
Any help is appreciated!
Tom
Tom, I know you’re new around here, but what year/model are you working on? :cheesy:

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Josh, first time poster here :cheesy:
1964 Bullnose 96. Following the lines off the master it looks the forward facing lones run to the back. I'm going to remove them and blow shop air from the rear brake bleeders and see if it fires its snot out the front without contaminating the master. I have ZERO experience on anything this old, spent all my time learning BUS communication and computer diagnostics, can't even tackle a simple brake bleed!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
Sorry Josh, first time poster here :cheesy:
1964 Bullnose 96. Following the lines off the master it looks the forward facing lones run to the back. I'm going to remove them and blow shop air from the rear brake bleeders and see if it fires its snot out the front without contaminating the master. I have ZERO experience on anything this old, spent all my time learning BUS communication and computer diagnostics, can't even tackle a simple brake bleed!
Tom
Ok, we’ll forgive you... :lol:

I’m assuming those rear brakes are the same that my ‘72 Sonett had. They were drums with the wheel cylinder mounted very low. The design is wacky since the air bleeder faces downward if memory serves. Couple that with the fact that those wheel cylinders are the low point of the brake system, and they are always clogged up. They are really cheap to replace, about $15 per side: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saab,1964,96,841cc+l3,1397493,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+cylinder,1952

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As an update for those in the same situation as me, the 35 year old fluid (well, in the academic sense) has created a type of "blockage" in my rear flexible lines. I tried suction with some heat and got some fluid out, but after failing for a while I snipped the lines and found they looked like arteries of a 90 year old man who had eaten nothing but cheeseburgers for the duration of his life.
Fortunately I had some lines from a 87 Rolls Royce Silver Spur in stock which were the same thread pitch / size and will be used to remedy this situation. I've found two strange archaic proportioning valves under the rear seat which seem to pass fluid, and were pretty cool to see.
Long story short, I'm in process of changing out the flexible lines and I should be good to go!

Yes they seem similar to the setup on your Sonett Josh, bleeder on the bottom for reasons I don't understand. Wheel cylinders are the same as well it seems, although it looks like mine will survive after several blasts of shop air.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,426 Posts
As an update for those in the same situation as me, the 35 year old fluid (well, in the academic sense) has created a type of "blockage" in my rear flexible lines. I tried suction with some heat and got some fluid out, but after failing for a while I snipped the lines and found they looked like arteries of a 90 year old man who had eaten nothing but cheeseburgers for the duration of his life.
Fortunately I had some lines from a 87 Rolls Royce Silver Spur in stock which were the same thread pitch / size and will be used to remedy this situation. I've found two strange archaic proportioning valves under the rear seat which seem to pass fluid, and were pretty cool to see.
Long story short, I'm in process of changing out the flexible lines and I should be good to go!

Yes they seem similar to the setup on your Sonett Josh, bleeder on the bottom for reasons I don't understand. Wheel cylinders are the same as well it seems, although it looks like mine will survive after several blasts of shop air.
Tom
Yeah, good catch on the hoses. I had assumed those were recent. If they’re more than 5 or so years old, I’d absolutely advise replacing them whether they’re restricted or not. I had replaced mine with some nice braided & coated stainless ones for pretty short dough (~$100 for all 4).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts