SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 03 9-3 Arc in black this past Saturday and absolutely love it. It's the touring model with the trunk spoiler and hid lights (pictures to come soon). Anyways, I would like to black out the front grill. Would anyone suggest painting it with spray paint (also any recommendations as to which type if this is the case), or buy one from http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=127_462&products_id=4091 . I would like to take the easiest and cost efficient route possible, which leads me to the painting of my current stock grill, however, if others have done this and it doesn't look good and don't recommend painting it, I will simply just buy one.

What are your thoughts? Paint it black or buy one?

Thanks!

Edit:
came across this thread: I really like the way that plastidip came out...most likely going to do that. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218218&highlight=plasti-dip

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plasti dipped mine yesterday and it turned out great! What I did was I took off the bumper (6 screws on top, 3 in each wheel well) and then I put a sheet in front of the radiator and put the bumper back on. After that I just covered my front bumper in news paper and painters tape and then put 4 coats of dip on it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plasti dipped mine yesterday and it turned out great! What I did was I took off the bumper (6 screws on top, 3 in each wheel well) and then I put a sheet in front of the radiator and put the bumper back on. After that I just covered my front bumper in news paper and painters tape and then put 4 coats of dip on it.

Wow that came out very nice Moozums. Wouldn't it have been easier to just pop out the grill inserts? I thought I had done that on my 9-5 a year or so back...I think. If not I'll do your method.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow that came out very nice Moozums. Wouldn't it have been easier to just pop out the grill inserts? I thought I had done that on my 9-5 a year or so back...I think. If not I'll do your method.
I tried but the clips wouldn't budge and I didn't want to risk breaking them haha.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I dunno about the pre 2008 models but it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain in the *** to pull those grille pieces out on my 2008 to put the Hirsch grille in. I'm not plannin gon doing that ever again. When it comes time to black out mine I'm using the tape method.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno about the pre 2008 models but it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain in the *** to pull those grille pieces out on my 2008 to put the Hirsch grille in. I'm not plannin gon doing that ever again. When it comes time to black out mine I'm using the tape method.
How long did it take from start to finish (including prep work). Don't know if I have time to run down to the hardware store after work to pick some up and get it finished tonight, or wait until this weekend for the project. I'd like to black out my side markers too, but the bulb is still there as well and want to figure out a way to block the light from escaping?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
'03-'07 are very easy to pop out and I recommend doing so to paint. Pop the 6 rivets across the top of the cover and you can pull it far enough away to get your hand in to push them out.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
'03-'07 are very easy to pop out and I recommend doing so to paint. Pop the 6 rivets across the top of the cover and you can pull it far enough away to get your hand in to push them out.
Thanks, I saw on a thread that you can remove the bulb and tape it, but then a Tech2 needs to reprogram. Is there anyways I can paint it and leave the bulb in, without having tape from the inside melt onto the bulb? Also, would you recommend Plasti-dip for this, or buy some black spray paint or caliper paint?

·
Registered
22 Posts
How long did it take from start to finish (including prep work). Don't know if I have time to run down to the hardware store after work to pick some up and get it finished tonight, or wait until this weekend for the project. I'd like to black out my side markers too, but the bulb is still there as well and want to figure out a way to block the light from escaping?
Id say it took me about an hour to prep (removing bumper, masking off areas, and cleaning the grill with rubbing alcohol) and 40 minutes to paint.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

Looks great. It's very bittersweet to look at laser red Aeros, I really do miss mine.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I did the same on my old Vector and loved the look. Looks great. I didn't find it that hard to take them out to spray..

Shoulda sprayed those side markers while you were at it :cheesy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the same on my old Vector and loved the look. Looks great. I didn't find it that hard to take them out to spray..

Shoulda sprayed those side markers while you were at it :cheesy:
That's actually my next project haha. As far as stopping light from coming out of them just put electrical tape over the bulbs, right?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's actually my next project haha. As far as stopping light from coming out of them just put electrical tape over the bulbs, right?
I've heard that tape over the bulbs can lead to melting. I am currently letting my side markers and grill dry. I figured I would see if light shines through it, if it does then I'll just disconnect the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just dipped my 03 Arc earlier tonight. I had no problem getting the grill out without taking off the bumper. It took me no more than 3 minutes total to get all 3 parts off (Maybe I was a lucky one :lol:).

I took a flathead screwdriver and put some duckt tape along the end. Then starting at the top slowly tried to make the gab between the grill and the front a bit larger than it was (until it was maybe 1/4 inch gap). Then took my fingers and put them into the grill from the front (Palms up), kind of spreading my hand out across the front of the grill to have a wider grip and so the force wasnt in a specific area and risk breaking it. I then moved my hands up and down trying to loosen and twist (?) the grill out that way. All three parts came out relatively quickly. As soon as you get one out you're able to get the side clips on the others and make pulling it out easier. Hope this helps and good luck!;ol;

How it all turned out. Prob will put another coat or two on later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts