SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me determine if the B6 shocks and struts be fine on an aero suspension? The springs are stiffer (and a little shorter I think) from what I remember.. will B6's match okay, or would B8 be required? I'm almost tempted just to go with Sachs just to avoid any issues, but Bilstien is a quality manufacturer. I had them in my Arc and they're just great suspension components, but the springs were different in the Arc and the ride was firm but it was perfect for me.

My concern is having unmatched springs and dampers and having balance issues over bumps and rough roads. Vehicle goes down one way and up another.. not good. And in the city I live thats almost every road.

If anyone with experience in this area would care to give some info it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your right, but something still doesn't sit right with a one size fits all damper. With 2 models that have road going suspension tuning, and one that is spirited, its difficult to trust.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm aware of the differences between mono vs twin as a tech, and what makes Bilstein so "special." It's the stock spring rates I'm concerned about.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ride height shouldn't be affected, correct? These are very strong dampers, so much I worry the shock may cause additional rebounding the springs weren't designed for. A good bump may cause weight transfer on one side and on the rebound on the other side could cause a pull in a different direction.. my arc wasn't effected but the springs were substantially softer and less effected by a harsher damping force.. I may end up contacting Bilstein just to see what car they engineered these around. If I had to guess (and hope) it was the Aero.

I'm probably overthinking this, but @ $500 just for a pair of struts I'd rather get it right the first time.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
You are over thinking it , as you said. Bilstein USA is peopled with folks who were born yesterday. No clue. I have a guy in Alabama a genius engineer expert on Bilsteins. You want your Bilsteins rated ? Pony up. 150 a shock for Analysis MTS | Roehrig Damper Products. Just go with it. Your springs will thank you

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
B8 have same valving as B6, but are made for lowered springs. There have to be specs out there.

The B6 should work fine on stock height springs of whatever variety. I do find them too stiff, but if you're okay with them elsewhere, I don't see any issue in this case.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Sport suspension is stiff from the factory. I installed the B6 Bilstein's and it rides almost the same. Seems like they might rebound faster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts