SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some would know, I just applied 19" wheels with 235/35 tires. My 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon feels a bit spongy on rougher roads so I need to improve the situation with minimum loss of comfort available at Aero. So I need an improvement.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but if you can help for the final conclusion, I will greatly appreciate.

Is it OK just to change shocks as springs should be still OK at 60k km. I also recall people being happy with Bilstein B6 sports and Aero springs.

As I'm also concerned about the budget, I prefer changing only shocks if otherwise will not be a dramatic change.

And of course the main question; which brand, which type?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Bilstein B6 shocks with your existing aero springs is generally regarded as the best compromise between performance and comfort. I've got Bilstein B8's with Eibach springs and it's a firm ride, but the performance is amazing even on my 16 inch snow tires. However I would not recommend it with 19's, it'll be very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You really need advise from someone with 19's as the size of the tyre matters massively with suspension.

Also I think we each have a different opinion hence you not being able to find a conclusive answer in your forum searches..........

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I love my Bilstein HD's (B6's) on my stock Aero springs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe be one of the first to try the Koni FSD series of shocks. These are designed for the stock suspension. All the reading I have done regarding these shocks seems to be extremely positive.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
You really need advise from someone with 19's as the size of the tyre matters massively with suspension.
He's right, I just switched from 17 summer tires to 16 snow tires and the car ride and handles very differently. In my opinion the 9-5 rides best on 16's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
stipud said:
Are these available for the 9-5 yet? I have only seen them for the 9-3SS.
Yes they are available for the 9-5. Parts.For.Saabs. carries them. Koni USA has not imported them yet. If they work as advertised, they would be perfect for someone with 19" wheels.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would these compare to a Coil Over system? Is coil over preferred for height control options?

Since there is still very rare touches to fender edge on extreme conditions at the rear, I wonder if any of these suspensions have camber adjustment (front and rear). With just a little adjustment I'm hoping to be trouble free.

I'm also told that when switching from 17" to 19", that could normally require camber adjustment. And comments on this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
How would these compare to a Coil Over system? Is coil over preferred for height control options?

Since there is still very rare touches to fender edge on extreme conditions at the rear, I wonder if any of these suspensions have camber adjustment (front and rear). With just a little adjustment I'm hoping to be trouble free.

I'm also told that when switching from 17" to 19", that could normally require camber adjustment. And comments on this?
Unfortunately there is not a coil over system available for your model year of car. Even if there was, the springs in those systems will be stiffer than the springs on your Aero thus creating a firmer ride and from what I understand you do not want to compromise the ride quality.

Go to the Koni site and read about the FSD shocks. On rough and abrupt surfaces they react softly and under cornering loads they firm up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
SteveY said:
Unfortunately there is not a coil over system available for your model year of car. Even if there was, the springs in those systems will be stiffer than the springs on your Aero thus creating a firmer ride and from what I understand you do not want to compromise the ride quality.

Go to the Koni site and read about the FSD shocks. On rough and abrupt surfaces they react softly and under cornering loads they firm up.
So it's like... a progressive shock? As in progressive vs. linear springs?

Bleeeeehhhhhhh, that doesn't sound like fun at all. :D

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Sounds very similar to the Bilstein HD's as the Bilsteins also have a variable dampening system, could be a response to the Bilstein shock? I'd be willing to bet that the Koni's work very well with the Aero springs.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
From www.partsforsaabs.com

9-5 02'-05' all models Koni FSD Dampers (4)

Click to enlarge
Set of Four Koni FSD Dampers

To Fit: Saab 9-5 Saloon/Sedan & Estate all models 2002 to 2005

KONI FSD: THE FIRST SHOCK ABSORBER OFFERING SUPERIOR ROAD HOLDING WITHOUT COMPROMISING COMFORT

KONI introduces the first no-compromise shock absorber in the world. In other words: a complete turn around in road-holding. Until recently you had a choice between shock absorbers that were either more firm or more comfortable. Cars with firm suspension do have better road-holding but there is a trade-off in the level of comfort.

KONI FSD: Frequency Selective Damping

A revolutionary new technique whereby the benefits of both types of ride are combined in one perfect shock absorber.

As advanced as FSD is in operation, the basic principle behind it is astoundingly simple. No electronics or sensors are used. The FSD technology id based purely on hydraulics.

Put simply, FSD actively controls the damping level on the basis of the movement frequency of both the car's body as well as suspension. It responds even more responsively than electronic systems do.

Ref: PFS903495 PFS Price: GB £449.99
US $777.75
per item(s)
EU Currency prices include VAT at 17.5% [?]

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Do they make them for sport springs? Or is this just a stock ride-height thing?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Do they make them for sport springs? Or is this just a stock ride-height thing?
I cant see a mention of springs which is odd cos they are for "all models" but that means different height springs between models.......... :confused:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I spoke to my friend who has FSD and he is simply not happy as they are softer then his expectations. He says FSDs are more comfortable then 9-3 Aero set up but not better.

In my case I think I need stiffer shocks especially as I have problem in front with 19" fitting. I spoke today to Nordic and they informed that they have great result with Koni sports.

I have been waiting since I wrote this message for a price confirmation of Bilstein sports and still no answer from the importer. Tomorrow I will contact Koni suppliers and check prices and availability. After thinking seriously I'm now convinced that I will either ride comfortably on my 17" wheels or if I want to keep my beautiful 19", then I need to sacrifice on comfort. As I'm tuning my Aero to stage 3 + FMIC, my choice is tuned suspensions which is normal to be stiffer. And Koni gives me a chance to adjust stiffness so seems to be a better option.

Let's now see the pricing and availability equation.

Additionally: Does anyone know exact Koni Sport part numbers to fit Aero and keep the exact height? Koni website shows same partner for Aero and non Aero. UK web suppliers show some shocks as non-Aero. There's no suspension showing specific to Aero.

Koni Int'l site:
Saab 02-06 9-5 (incl. V6) - Sport (Yellow)
Front 87-2636sport, Rear: 80-2754

Elks website shows these part numbers as non-Aero??? PFS states nothing. Any comments?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The standard Konis have single-rate damping that lets you adjust them in only one way... rebound. You cannot change the initial "bound" stiffness. The Bilsteins on the other hand have variable rate dampening that remains very comfortable, yet stiffens up the harder you drive them.

The naming of the Bilstein shocks is different on your side of the pond. The Bilstein HD's we have here are called Bilstein Sports there... and the Sports we have here are called the Sprints there. The HD equivalent is the one you want for your stock suspension... the Sport equivalent would be far too low and stiff for stock springs, and would be a huge compromise in comfort as well.

If you're sticking with the Aero springs, I can't recommend the HD's enough. The Koni's are pretty good for lowering springs though, and you can tweak the suspension to your tastes (but you have to remove it to adjust!!). Though I have driven in cars other than Saabs that had Konis and lowering springs, and I wasn't too impressed. I found them to be much less comfortable than my car for such a minor difference in performance.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
stipud said:
The standard Konis have single-rate damping that lets you adjust them in only one way... rebound. You cannot change the initial "bound" stiffness. The Bilsteins on the other hand have variable rate dampening that remains very comfortable, yet stiffens up the harder you drive them.

The naming of the Bilstein shocks is different on your side of the pond. The Bilstein HD's we have here are called Bilstein Sports there... and the Sports we have here are called the Sprints there. The HD equivalent is the one you want for your stock suspension... the Sport equivalent would be far too low and stiff for stock springs, and would be a huge compromise in comfort as well.

If you're sticking with the Aero springs, I can't recommend the HD's enough. The Koni's are pretty good for lowering springs though, and you can tweak the suspension to your tastes (but you have to remove it to adjust!!). Though I have driven in cars other than Saabs that had Konis and lowering springs, and I wasn't too impressed. I found them to be much less comfortable than my car for such a minor difference in performance.
Agree 100%! My buddy with an A4 was thinking about getting Koni lowering shocks until I got my Bilsteins, now he's getting the Bilstein Sports!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts