SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very soon I'll need to replace my front struts, mounts, strut bearings and tie rod ends. They're clunking and moaning over bumps and turns. Mounts, bearings and tie rods are easy to find at a good price. So far the best I've been able to do with the struts is $132 each on the tirerack website. Do any of you know a place I can get them at a better price? I've seen some full sets on eBay. However, I don't believe they are the HD's. I'm guessing they are the touring grade struts, not what I want. I know $132 isn't that bad but I'm frugal (cheap).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
AJUSA.com sells the HD and Sport for ~$130 each
It's just what they cost. You may be able to get a discount as they almost ALWAYS have codes up there for 10-30 bucks off.
you can check allshocks.com, Shox.com, and turnermotorsports.com

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
earthworm said:
We renew the strut insert, generally, its much less expensive. This cannot be done on some cheaper cars...
Oh I see. So I'll be replacing the strut inserts, not the struts themselves. Correct? Either way they're still $132.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I replaced the O.E.M. cartridges with Koni Gas Adjusts all-around at about 60k miles on my 1995 900S. They were great for the first 30 or 40k then they started getting soft; had to crank up the firmness to max. Replaced them all again at 128k with Bilstein HD's. The Koni's were toast by then. Car now has about 156k. I'm satisifed with the Bilsteins so far; I'm hoping that they stay firm longer than the Koni's did. I'm assuming that you're looking to improve transient response and minimize suspension float at the cost of ride comfort (as I was) by choosing the HD's.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What's the difference between the HD (heavy duty?) and the Sport? Is the HD more for load carrying or bad roads?
Robert

·
Registered
980 Posts
RBatsch said:
What's the difference between the HD (heavy duty?) and the Sport? Is the HD more for load carrying or bad roads?
Robert
I believe you only have a choice of HD and Touring for the 900's. Some more popular vehicles (something Saab never seems to be), also have the choice of the Sport model. I would have gotten the Sports if they were available.

The following pdf describes the differences. Don't believe the part about an exceptional "street" ride with the HD's on our cars; it's "feel every imperfection in the road" firm, but I like 'em.

http://www.bilstein.com/ProductDescriptions.pdf

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Thanks Cadcamjim....they do have the Sport for the Viggen. I've heard from others that they prefer the Bilstein because they're self adjusting versus the Koni adjustables. My '78 99 Turbo came stock with Bilsteins and they lasted for over 200,000 miles but they'd rattle your teeth out on a cold winter morning. Car handles great though!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HHmmm... :confused: Maybe I should get the Touring struts. This is my daily driver and road trip car with the girlfriend. I don't want the "rattle your teeth" feel. Yes, I want them a little more firm but not that much. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The sport has different valving and shorter "stalk" so you can get full shock-travel with a lowered car.

The sport fits anything the HD fits, as it's the same body, just a shorter stalk.

The TC is just a "OE" replacement. I think they quote something like 15% stiffer?
they all have lifetime warranties against defects, though. they leak... you return.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
nocluetim said:
HHmmm... :confused: Maybe I should get the Touring struts. This is my daily driver and road trip car with the girlfriend. I don't want the "rattle your teeth" feel. Yes, I want them a little more firm but not that much. Opinions?
Don't worry about a toothless gf....I'm talking about the Bilsteins of 30 years ago...I'm sure they're more refined today. In fact everyone I've talked to who ownes them, loves them.
Robert

·
Registered
980 Posts
nocluetim said:
I'd go for the HD's if I were you. It's not so much that the shocks are all that firm; it's more the suspension on the NG900's will never give a real compliant ride no matter what shock you choose. You might as well get a little more driving enjoyment out of the deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts