SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a pair of used SS Aero MY03 calipers for a great price, bought a new pair of 314x28mm discs, left the discs at the local metal workshop for slotting, painted the calipers and voila, well not much bigger, but certainly better brakes then stock 9-5 aero.

And the big calipers looks way better too imho.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
They fit to the face lift hub ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Looks good, but I have a few questions.

1. How do the discs compare? So we know they're 6mm larger in diameter, but how does the width compare? And which side pulls air into the center?

2. How do the calipers compare? They look like a floating caliper. How many pistons do they have?

3. How do the pads compare, length and width?

4. How does the performance compare? Brake any better? How's the brake fade? I can cook my brakes in a couple minutes of spirited driving.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raven18940 said:
Looks good, but I have a few questions.

1. How do the discs compare? So we know they're 6mm larger in diameter, but how does the width compare? And which side pulls air into the center?

2. How do the calipers compare? They look like a floating caliper. How many pistons do they have?

3. How do the pads compare, length and width?

4. How does the performance compare? Brake any better? How's the brake fade? I can cook my brakes in a couple minutes of spirited driving.

1. The SS discs may be only a fraction larger, but they are a lot heavier and feels more solif than stock 9-5 aero, I assume that the increased width keeps them from fading better than the 25mm stocks.

2. It is a single piston floating caliper, but the piston part is made entirely of aluminium and the cast iron part is bolted on to the alu with massive bolts.
The piston itself is a lot larger than on the stock calipers.

3. I would assume that the new pads has about 30% more friction surface, they are big, and very excpensive if you buy them at Saab.

4. As I havnt ran in the brakes thourougly yet I cant answer that, but now already after bleeding them twice there is a nice feeling in the pedal, the brakes feels really powerful, but I dont want to try and fade them just yet as I may ruin the fresh paint on both rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
93t said:
Great idea! I can't believe they bolted right up and furthermore I can't believe that none of us ever thought about or tried this. Now you've motivated me to get on the ball with my WP pro brake kit install!

BTW what springs are you running? I went to garaget to try and find out but I cannot read swedish at all unfortunately.:cry: I work at Volvo Trucks NA but I have yet to pick up any of the language. Your car sits a tad lower than mine in the front, which I've been trying to remedy for months now. I'm running H&R springs and Koni shocks for reference. Brakes look great! Cheers.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
j006 said:
Great idea! I can't believe they bolted right up and furthermore I can't believe that none of us ever thought about or tried this.
We've known this just few people are upgrading brakes on the facelift car, I would have told anyone who asked ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
j006 said:
Great idea! I can't believe they bolted right up and furthermore I can't believe that none of us ever thought about or tried this. Now you've motivated me to get on the ball with my WP pro brake kit install!

BTW what springs are you running? I went to garaget to try and find out but I cannot read swedish at all unfortunately.:cry: I work at Volvo Trucks NA but I have yet to pick up any of the language. Your car sits a tad lower than mine in the front, which I've been trying to remedy for months now. I'm running H&R springs and Koni shocks for reference. Brakes look great! Cheers.

I bought a complete set of springs and shocks from: http://www.gemotorsport.se/webbutiken.html

I am very happy with the height wich also was a very big issue for me, had the H&R kit mounted before but returned them as I wasnt happy with the ride height.

Maybe you should read the "Swedish for Dummies" booklet ? ;)

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Did you get this Coil over set??? I am guessing by looking how your car sits... wow 3900 SEK for these. I Love how they drop 45 front 35 rear, that's definitely what we need for these cars. How is the ride?

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Thanks, that works as well, interesting how this one says it drops 40mm all around ( but the other supposedly drops the rear less!) but your car has a nice pitch to it. My car with the aero sits great in the rear ( I am fine with it) but want to go lower in the front I might try to import these for my car ( or maybe get a set when I am over there next time.)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So this only works on the facelift cars? What would I have to do to make it work on a pre-facelift one?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
93t said:
Nope, those were the first ones I got, the car got wayy too low in the back, I am guessing that they are using the same kit for the wagon as for the sedan.

I finally got the kit numbered GE13158N

And the results can be viewed as above.
Ok, when you had the second kit after the H&R setup, you say the rear was way too low. Of course we know that this is probably because the same springs set is used for both Kombi and Sedan. My question is how did the front sit compared to the H&R's and the final kit that you have now? I've contacted the Swedish company and I'm trying to determine which kit I need to order. With the second kit, spec'd at 45mm/35mm, was the front lower than it is now or about the same as it is now? BTW here's a link to pics of my car for reference:

My 2003 9 Aero pics

Jssaab said:
Thanks, that works as well, interesting how this one says it drops 40mm all around ( but the other supposedly drops the rear less!) but your car has a nice pitch to it. My car with the aero sits great in the rear ( I am fine with it) but want to go lower in the front I might try to import these for my car ( or maybe get a set when I am over there next time.)
Jssaab you know I'm right here with you on this one. Maybe we can finally get a solution to this front ride height issue!

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Hey J006, if you get a set, whatta you say we order them together and split shipping? ( Maybe even add a groop buy?-misspelled purposly) Also my Swedish is pretty bad after leaving AstraZeneca about 10 years ago now.

I still want to hear how firm the ride is and whether we would need to adjust camber with shims and/or need alignment adjusters for the front...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Jssaab said:
Hey J006, if you get a set, whatta you say we order them together and split shipping? ( Maybe even add a groop buy?-misspelled purposly) Also my Swedish is pretty bad after leaving AstraZeneca about 10 years ago now.

I still want to hear how firm the ride is and whether we would need to adjust camber with shims and/or need alignment adjusters for the front...
The guy actually offered to send me only the front springs if I wanted, which I thought was crazy from a business perspective. Honestly, though, my H&R's sit perfect in the rear and I may just do that. As far as the alignment issues, I've already got .9mm worth of shims in the rear, but I didn't have ANY issues with the front. In fact, after I swapped out the stock Aero suspension for the aftermarket springs/shocks, I took it to get aligned and it was still in spec! As soon as I hear something I will PM you with info. Cheers.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
j006 said:
The guy actually offered to send me only the front springs if I wanted, which I thought was crazy from a business perspective. Honestly, though, my H&R's sit perfect in the rear and I may just do that. As far as the alignment issues, I've already got .9mm worth of shims in the rear, but I didn't have ANY issues with the front. In fact, after I swapped out the stock Aero suspension for the aftermarket springs/shocks, I took it to get aligned and it was still in spec! As soon as I hear something I will PM you with info. Cheers.
I like how my rear sits on the Aero Suspension as well, but the rear definitely seems "loose" compared to the front ( espeicially with the sub-brace), but I think that might be an arb issue.

I have posted about using different front/rear combo and have had mostly naysayers, but I have done that on other cars without issue and definite improvement

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@j006

Looking at the pictures of your ride, Id say it looks lower or equally low as my car.. great looking car by the way ;)

With the H&R kit on my car the height in front was unchanged compared to my stock aero setup

The current G&M 40/40 setup is lower (very little) than the G&M 45/35 kit .. the latter was also the kit wich caused my rear to drop way too low.. this "problem" should not occur on a sedan.
Then again I do not know if the same 40/40 kit I am using exist for the sedan?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts