SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first time back with the saab in god knows how long, and she starts doing something very odd.

When I floor the throttle, she goes through first gear fine, but once she hits second or above, some bad things start happening.
  1. At 4000 rpm almost on the dot, she starts making blowout noises from the exhaust.
  2. If I continue to give it gas, the blow outs become more frequent and violent.
  3. The car goes in and out of spurts of hard acceleration, but feels like its losing power.
  4. The boost seems to dance a bit, but it doesn't get totally dropped.
  5. The car will not go above 4500ish rpm unless i let off the throttle and gas it slowly.
  6. The power is definately still there, it just isn't getting used.
I tried turning down the SMBC but it had little to no effect on the issue. The only things I can guess that would cause this would be:
  1. Bad wastegate actuator.
  2. Clogged feul filter.
  3. Satan?
Please help me out here guys, I'm really not enjoying having all this power but not being able to set it free.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Sounds like it is missing? How are your plugs and how old is the DIC? What kind of diverter/bov do you have? What else have you checked?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyperboost BPV, The DIC is as old as the car so about five years.

The spark plugs are only about a year old.

I didn't look at the feul filter yet because I don't know where it's at. :confused:

I'm not sure what else to look at.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Hyperboost BPV, The DIC is as old as the car so about five years.

The spark plugs are only about a year old.

I didn't look at the feul filter yet because I don't know where it's at. :confused:

I'm not sure what else to look at.
well theres a clue!

i clean and gap mine about every 300-500 miles, and put in new ones every 7k miles or so about every 2 oil changes).

time is no way to gauge spark plugs. i bet if you check them the gap is wide open. get a new set of ngk 7es-11's for 10 bucks and rule that out.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are probably right about needing new ones, or at the very least re gapping them, but do you think that could really be the issue?

Also, how long do DICs last?

·
Registered
386 Posts
your DI should last at least 80-100k miles.

fuel filter is located by the fuel tank on the right side, but its probably not that, but it doesnt hurt to check.

·
Registered
103 Posts
what is your boost currently at? if you don't have a boost gauge take the mbc off and see if that makes a difference. if not you could try lengthning the actuating rod on the turbo to lower the boost even more.. you might just be trying to run to high of a boost aka anything over 15.5 psi. at that psi you get fuel cutout.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Your DIC is under recall so change it ASAP :cheesy:
Also I agree check and regap the plugs or replace if needed. What grade gas do you use?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweed88 said:
what is your boost currently at? if you don't have a boost gauge take the mbc off and see if that makes a difference. if not you could try lengthning the actuating rod on the turbo to lower the boost even more.. you might just be trying to run to high of a boost aka anything over 15.5 psi. at that psi you get fuel cutout.
Actual boost I have no idea, I have an after market gauge but havn't fitted it yet.

I did lower the SMBC but like I said before it didn't really change anything with the issue.

How much pressure is the stock TD04 watsegate made to handle?

·
Banned
736 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Actual boost I have no idea, I have an after market gauge but havn't fitted it yet.

I did lower the SMBC but like I said before it didn't really change anything with the issue.

How much pressure is the stock TD04 watsegate made to handle?
mine is running over 20psi fine.

can you move the wastegate arm? this same thing happen to me. if you cant use some wd40 to free it up and then put some greese on it.

do you check all your bost/vac lines?

how many miles on your car? it could very well be the DIC. i want to put a video up of the 2 DIC's that i have one with 120xxx miles on it and the other with 10xxx miles. the spark is about twice as strong on the newer one.

im not sure about on a t7 but i have a bpc and if you mix those lines up it can cause over boost.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I can move the arm, and I have oiled it. vac lines seem good.

The car is close to 70,000 mi maybe it is the DIC and spark plugs, it seems resonable. do you think that they could be causing these issues? Remember the problems only arise when I really give the car gas.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Yeah I can move the arm, and I have oiled it. vac lines seem good.

The car is close to 70,000 mi maybe it is the DIC and spark plugs, it seems resonable. do you think that they could be causing these issues? Remember the problems only arise when I really give the car gas.
Here is the way I would do it in order:

I would call the dealer to see if your DIC recall has been done to your car. Take out the plugs look at them and check the gap. If you have any doubt replace them. At a $1.70 they should be considered a regular mantaince item. I replace mine ever 2 oil changes.

A decent guide to tell whats going on in the engine via plugs:
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

I would check your vac lines next look for cracks and dryrot. SaabSavoir sells a great silicone hose replacement kit for vaclines.

It could be fuel related. I would say the fuel presure regulator and fuel filter are both worth a look. FPR is on the end of the fuel rail near the throttle body. Looks like a saucer. The fuel filter location has already been listed. Both are fairly cheap and very easy to replace.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perfect, thank you everyone, I have a good checklist to go through now. Unfortunately I wont get to go through it till christmas. But thanks nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Perfect, thank you everyone, I have a good checklist to go through now. Unfortunately I wont get to go through it till christmas. But thanks nonetheless.
This step alone will not take more than an hour of your time total and cost no more than $10. Including calling, purchase, and parts install:

"I would call the dealer to see if your DIC recall has been done to your car. Take out the plugs look at them and check the gap. If you have any doubt replace them. At a $1.70 they should be considered a regular mantaince item. I replace mine ever 2 oil changes."

I am sure you can eek that in before x-mas. Your car will love you for it! :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No no, I realize how simple the job is, its just that I wont be around the car until christmas. I'll probably get in touch with the dealer anyways just to see if the recall is still needed on my car.

I hate not having my car around.

·
Registered
771 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
No no, I realize how simple the job is, its just that I wont be around the car until christmas. I'll probably get in touch with the dealer anyways just to see if the recall is still needed on my car.

I hate not having my car around.

omg i just realized, i haven't changed my plugs in 2 years LOL, oh waits thats cuz i know how to service them and they haven't need to be changed in two years

blood ninja for the win

·
Registered
771 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
How do know they are sparking as good as a new set?

well my car doesn't misfire, idk if they spark as strong as a new set, but they spark good enough for me, but they are getting close to the end of their life, i have new plugs for it, and i'll propably change them out next oil change

btw did you check your gap?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No i haven't checked them, I didn't think about looking at the spark system while I was with my car.

I'm planning on getting new ones regardless though.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts