SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok simple question, i wanna know if 19inch rims will fit on a 9-5, and if not whats the biggest wheel size i can fit on my baby? i dont really feel like doing any kind of mods to my car like lowering or chopping out wheel wells, jsut want the biggest shoes possible.

heres the website i was looking at rims for my saab at
www.victoriatire.com

·
Registered
199 Posts
19" wheels will fit.

If you do a search theres plenty of stuff out there on what offset you'll need. (I think its 35 as a minimum)

·
Registered
774 Posts
There are plenty of 9-5's out there running 20" rims so 19's is not a problem.
Just make sure the rim is not too wide and that the offset is within range. 35 is absolute minimum if you want to avoid rubbing. Of course with 20's you might experience it anyway. But it's doable.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Just putting 19's on wont reduce that huge wheel arch gap (the wheel and tyre combo stays at the same diameter - bigger wheel + skinny tyre) and without uprated suspension could rub like mad on the twisties.

You'll also be amazed at how much "ride comfort" you lose when going down the tyre profiles :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please also keep in mind that going from a 17" factory alloy to say, a 19-20" aftermarket wheel can greatly increase your unsprung weight so please plan suspension and brake upgrades accordingly. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoa whoa all i want to do is put bigger rims on my saab i dont feel like spending 2 extra grand on suspension and performance braking:nono;

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its your car, go ahead, can we have some pictures after please ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
saili_calvin said:
whoa whoa all i want to do is put bigger rims on my saab i dont feel like spending 2 extra grand on suspension and performance braking:nono;
Certainly I understand that completely, I just feel that before you jump into spending money on putting bigger diameter wheels and tires on your car you should carefully assess the rest of your car to make sure that you aren't going to be effecting your vehicle in a negative manner.

If you look at your car as a balanced system that an engineer somewhere designed with certain parameters in mind you will see that they calculated the curb weight of the vehicle and from there determined how much unsprung weight would be appropriate for the suspension and braking system. If you are unfamiliar with unsprung weight the simple definition of that is everything on your car that extends out from the axles... so that encompasses all of the weight of your brakes and most appropriately the wheels and tires. The greater the mass of the wheels and tires the slower the car is going to accelerate, steer, and stop.

When you take into consideration that the average 17" wheel and tire combo on a Saab 9-5 weighs about 50 pounds per unit (approximately) when you start to add weight with heavier wheels and tires you will inherently need to consider the condition of the suspension on your car as well as the conditions of the roads you frequent and what you expect out of your car. If your Saab in your signature is a 2000 I might suggest you take a long look at the condition of the struts on your vehicle and see if they are still functioning effectively at dampening the movement of your suspension to see if they can cope with the increased weight of a larger wheel and tire combination. I just recently aquired my 2002 9-5 Aero wagon and at 68,000 miles three of the struts were leaking down badly enough to warrant replacement and the fourth was leaking oil from the piston rod.

If you look carefully at what causes your vehicle to drive in a safe manner it is a combination of decent braking capability (which the 9-5 does in spades) the ability to control the ride motion of the suspension as you encounter either a steering or stopping condition and the ability of the suspension to keep the wheel down on the road as well as ride comfort.

I certainly am not attempting to rain on your parade, I am just saying that taking all of those issues into consideration when modifying your vehicle will ultimately result in a better situation for you.

-Paul (someone who has probably opened his mouth too much in this thread :D)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When you've forked out for the multitude of suspension repairs, bearings etc and a new set of teeth you will then discover for yourself why these cars are not designed for big rims.
Buy the wheels, they're fun while the fun lasts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am running 19 x 8 BBS CK's on my 2007 9-5 Aero Sportcombi. The wheel offset is 42 which is perfect. If the offset were any less, rubbing could be a problem in the rear due to the fact the the 06-07 cars have a wider track in the rear than previous years. With Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, the total combined wheel and tire weight is about 51 lbs. which is close to stock. I live in the city and the road conditions are less than ideal. After driving the car over a variety of different road conditions, I am happy to report that the ride quality surprisingly is almost the same as stock. I was expecting a drastic change for the worse but feel extremely pleased that the end result was quite the opposite. I am wondering if the minor suspension changes they made in 2006 have alot to do with the ride quality. On my previous 2004 9-5 Aero Sedan, I put 18's on wth Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires and I definitely felt a difference in the ride quality though it was not all that much different.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Perhaps on brand new suspension the big rims may not be as noticeable.

I had my BBS 19's on for somewhere around 18months on a car that was somewhere around 3 to 4 years old. They beat the s**t out of the car and me.

Lesson learned the hard way, literally.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alloys anyone

hey new question does anyone have a good websites where i can get cheap saab alloys. cause i need a full spare

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ebay and anything over a 16" wont fit in the spare wheel well I think :confused:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
ebay and anything over a 16" wont fit in the spare wheel well I think :confused:
Even a stock 16" rim will push the cover up quite far into the trunk. The well just wasn't designed for anything but a donut. Where are you going to mount the fullsize spare? On a swinging trunk hinge? Christ man it's a sedan, not a Hummer.

What's up with that website? There are only 5 19" rims that they claim fit the car, which are below $340 apiece. The rest are about $1k PER WHEEL of stupid chrome. I assume the reason you don't want to get your suspension up to par is because you are spending $4k on "flossing" rims?

Americans are weird sometimes... :lol:

Calvin, if you want some 18/19" rims that REALLY suit the car, check out a set of BBS Challengers. They are cheaper than those Asanti rims, so the money you save you can put towards a decent set of shocks and springs.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I bet they are heavy :confused:

As for suspension and brakes you could always read some of the threads on here already written :confused:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts