SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Well, i'm cruising down the freeway and go to roll my windows down like I always do. This time, instead of going down normally, the drivers side window goes down wrongly. The top corner, furthest from the front, falls forward until it's the only thing showing in the middle of the door. I managed to manipulate the window back into shape. Now it's stuck up. when i roll it down i can hear the motors moving, but the window stays up.

My assumption is that the window is not attached to the mecahnism that rolls it up and down. My question is this. Is this something i might be able to repair? Or is this a dealer only problem? Also, is there an easy way for my to take the covering off the door so that i can see whats going on?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Its quite a common problem with the Saab's, there are two green coloured rollers that allow the window to move with the window regulator, up and down. These $2.00 parts easily break and have to be replaced. The job isn't hard to do if you have small hands, but can take a little time to do if you keep dropping the roller in the door

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
$2.99 USD @ eeuroparts:

Part Code: 4493433A
Part Name: Window Roller
Part Brand: ScanTech
Part Cost: $2.99
Part Description:
Window roller for any 94-98 900, 9-3 99-02(and 03 convert), 9-5 all. 2 per window regulator.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! I'm a little bit encouraged!! Alright well that doesn't seem too hard. Now, how do i get the covering off the door? i'm most worried about scratching up the "leather-ish" material. I poked around last night and other then the screw in the middle of the door, i cannot figure out how to dislodge the clips without breaking them

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesn't look too difficult. I suppose if i go slow and carefully it shouldn't be any problem to get it off in one peice. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
287 Posts
same thing happened here.

SilverStone641 said:
That doesn't look too difficult. I suppose if i go slow and carefully it shouldn't be any problem to get it off in one peice. Thanks guys!
uugh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well gentlemen, this is very much over due, but i did indeed complete the task. Getting the door open wasn't hard at all and conviniently enough, they left several larg openings in the metal frame of the door to get at the window.

The only problem i ran into was, when the window fell, it came out of the tracks on either side. when i put it back into the tracks, it folded over the rubber edging, causing the window to come right back out again. It's a pain, but get a mirror and make sure it's in the track and in between the rubber pieces. other then that, my only other advice is, PLEASE DON'T BUY THOSE PARTS FROM SAAB!!! Instead of following Saaboheme's excellent links, i decided i needed them now and bought them from saab. $17 a piece. I literally shed tears.

anyway, all is well now!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Are these the same as the glide rollers? I plan on changing mine on my passenger side window + small back window. Does anyone know how many are on the back little window? I presume still 2.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Replacing the rollers before they break is good PM, I think..Or are we going too far ?

Strangely, I see NO rollers listed in my "quickie" parts manual(from Saab Cars USA)..

VW has the same problem with "window regulators" - rollers ?? I wonder if the parts are identical ??

$17 for a $3 part is par for the course; they want $42 for a CV joint boot - which eEuroParts does not sell !

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
tucksayre said:
Are these the same as the glide rollers? I plan on changing mine on my passenger side window + small back window. Does anyone know how many are on the back little window? I presume still 2.
No they are not. The window glide rollers, also called guide bushings, were originally part no. 47 66 465. They were subject of a TSB with a new part upgrade. Go here to page 13 to see the first campaign for verts involving the glide rollers. Then go here to TSB 811-2100 to see the improvement to the part which is now part no. 51 13 436. The part no. has apparently again been superseded. From Taliaferro (Genuine Saab):

Part Number
5113436 Description

GUIDEBUSHING
Saab Suggested List
$1.40
Part Code (D = discontinued)
S
Superseded use this new number 5361910

·
Registered
997 Posts
Thanks that clears it up. I'll have to pick up 4 glide rollers then. I presume vert windows do not have the window rollers if they have these glide rollers.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
tucksayre said:
Thanks that clears it up. I'll have to pick up 4 glide rollers then. I presume vert windows do not have the window rollers if they have these glide rollers.
Sorry, wrong again. All 900 front windows have two of the green fasteners. These secure the window glass to the scissors lifts. All the verts also have the guide bushings that ride in a channel at the rear of the door. I do not know about the hardtops, but since they have the upper window frame with a channel for the glass to ride in above the door body, they may not need or have these guide bushings. The channel inside the rear of the door, in which the guide bushings ride up and down, provide some rigidity for the window as it goes up and down. Remember, the vert windows have no support above the door body, so they would flop around (wobble in and out if all they had for support were the two green fasteners to the scissors lift). By securing the bottom back of the window inside the channel, while having the rubber window moulding/sweep at the top of the door as a fulcrum, the guide bushings prevent excessive window wobble towards the inside and outside of the car as the window rises, although they are still pretty loosey-goosey for my taste. If you have ever pushed on the window glass from outside the car, with the door open, you can see there is pretty considerable deflection of the glass. Without the guide bushings, you could easily tilt the glass at the top several inches toward the inside of the car. This is one way I diagnose one or more broken guide bushings.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well I presume if I'm going to replace the guide bushing i better replace the others (since they are only a few bucks). thanks for the response again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts