SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scared. A while back, maybe even 6 months ago, I was trying to figure out where my coolant was leaking from. After searching and observing for a while, I came across a hose that was just lying there. Aha! We found it! It seemed to be a perfect fit for a connection coming from the back of my coolant reservoir. How could I have missed it! I plugged it in and drove. It still spilled. I found out one of the nipples was cracked on the coolant reservoir, I ordered a new one and was still so glad I at least found the loose hose. I was so stupid, I didn't even look it up. The new reservoir tank had an even better connection for that hose, I thought. It was very tight. Fast forward months of driving hard and fast. My tranny starts to shift weird. I changed out the fluid. It had never been done and I felt dumb for not doing it before. Later when I checked it, it spilled all over even though I had put exactly the amount I took out. I was clueless. I drove it like that for months. Finally I got a code, the transmission refused to shift. I looked up more information and that's when I came across the TRANSMISSION BREATHER HOSE. F*CK. That's the hose I plugged into the coolant reservoir. What do you guys think the damage is? I feel so bad. I really like my car and I did something terrible.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Putting coolant into the transmission could lead to little or no damage or catastrophic failure.

Blocking the breather hole is bad, but adding pressure from the cooling system makes that worse... That's how you blow out seals.

There is no way to know in advance. The only way to know is to fully drain the transmission, refill it properly, and see if it still works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I did that a bunch of times over the course of a couple weeks and the code wouldn't clear. Sometimes I could blow hard on the air vent hose and clear the code and it would be good for an hour or so, but after some days even that didn't work. I drove it like that (had to), basically it was stuck in 5th gear all the time. I even got used to timing the lights so that I could start accelerating before the person behind me honked. Then, last week, I was driving really hard. I know, I don't treat her right. It was really late after work and I was just letting it rip, accelerating hard, turning quick, got on the freeway and hit 110, 115 a few times on the freeway. When I got back on the street, the code had cleared by itself. It's been driving good since...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts