SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
I've gotten the same issues lately I think. When moving off with a cold engine (no warming up), as soon as I *disengage* the clutch to shift into 2nd gear the engine bumps or lurches on its mounts with an accompanying thump sound that is disconcerting to say the least. I know the mounts are worn but :eek:! What is the cause? It doesn't happen after that, luckily. Everything is stiff when cold, the car doesn't rev freely, certainly isn't loose at all and apparently it is a shock to the engine when the torque is disconnected that suddenly, if you want to call that *sudden.*

I also habitually, regardless of weather, get a thump when engaging reverse gear. I can remedy that just by briefly feathering the clutch (more than usual) just enough to get the car to move. But if I want to reverse out of a long driveway or similar with the clutch fully engaged, then it will be troublesome at first. Again, this is apparently attributable to worn mounts. I'll add those to my growing grocery list of issues...:cry::(

· Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
If you've got the tools and the time, do it yourself. The proper resource is, well, here as far as the answers go. I have access to a hydraulic lift (like in auto repair shops) and will purchase a 3-ton floor jack/trolley jack here soon to be able to work on the car in the driveway for even better convenience.

However, I've got to do the same job myself here (motor mounts)sometime fairly soon but I count it as a minor challenge and fun. The rewards of tackling it yourself are immeasurable. Just the gratification is enough reward.

Also, the mounts I've priced are roughly $50.00 a piece.

· Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
^^^ Yes, it has been discussed here before; a thump in reverse leads to a typically knackered engine or transmission mount. Word is they don't last very long (i.e., the life of the car) and it is a new-fangled thing to me to go wrong. Never dealt with it before and my experience is 50/50 new and very old, high mileage cars. Search for posts on the subject as it has been covered fairly extensively...

"check the left engine mount, mine was doing the same thing when backing up and I found the mount was broke." (Cannot recall who wrote this)

· Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
^^^ LOL. :lol:

US Auto Parts is one of the most inexpensive distributors and they have not just one motor mount (for instance) but more than several to choose from with different prices and manufacturers.

http://www.usautoparts.net/

Since you are across the pond, you could take what you find there and try to source it in the UK with the mfr name and/or stock number.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.