SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Occasionally the car does this v strange lurch when I engage 1st.
It only happens when it is v cold.
If I warm the car up before moving off it does not happen.

Ive been humming and ha'ing about whether to get the engine mounts changed. The gear stick feels fairly sloppy, but ive kinda got used to it.

But am i storing up trouble?
Will changing the mounts feel like £ well spent?

Cheers
S

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
I've gotten the same issues lately I think. When moving off with a cold engine (no warming up), as soon as I *disengage* the clutch to shift into 2nd gear the engine bumps or lurches on its mounts with an accompanying thump sound that is disconcerting to say the least. I know the mounts are worn but :eek:! What is the cause? It doesn't happen after that, luckily. Everything is stiff when cold, the car doesn't rev freely, certainly isn't loose at all and apparently it is a shock to the engine when the torque is disconnected that suddenly, if you want to call that *sudden.*

I also habitually, regardless of weather, get a thump when engaging reverse gear. I can remedy that just by briefly feathering the clutch (more than usual) just enough to get the car to move. But if I want to reverse out of a long driveway or similar with the clutch fully engaged, then it will be troublesome at first. Again, this is apparently attributable to worn mounts. I'll add those to my growing grocery list of issues...:cry::(

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You need to open the hood and have someone watch as you let out the clutch in first and reverse gears. The engine may rock on one or more bad mounts. The worst case is if the rear mount lets go entirely and the engine hits the hood, but with the cable around it, it should only happen if the cable breaks... Ron

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i spoke to the Saab dealer about this.
He said its £300 PER mount! Then he said that they dont get any call to do it.

Not exactly inspiring me with confidence.

Im no expert,,, but i can feel the engine "rocking" through the gear stick.
not as bad as a few other saabs i test drove, but it makes an otherwise sparkly clean car feel older.

I thought about doing it myself but could be tricky. The main thing holding me back (apart from the weather) is im not experienced enough to know its worth the effort to do it.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
If you've got the tools and the time, do it yourself. The proper resource is, well, here as far as the answers go. I have access to a hydraulic lift (like in auto repair shops) and will purchase a 3-ton floor jack/trolley jack here soon to be able to work on the car in the driveway for even better convenience.

However, I've got to do the same job myself here (motor mounts)sometime fairly soon but I count it as a minor challenge and fun. The rewards of tackling it yourself are immeasurable. Just the gratification is enough reward.

Also, the mounts I've priced are roughly $50.00 a piece.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mines just started doing this is reverse. You sure it's the mounts? I was thinking it could be the something to do with the clutch sticking. The thrust bearing maybe mine is a 96 2.0 s btw.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
^^^ Yes, it has been discussed here before; a thump in reverse leads to a typically knackered engine or transmission mount. Word is they don't last very long (i.e., the life of the car) and it is a new-fangled thing to me to go wrong. Never dealt with it before and my experience is 50/50 new and very old, high mileage cars. Search for posts on the subject as it has been covered fairly extensively...

"check the left engine mount, mine was doing the same thing when backing up and I found the mount was broke." (Cannot recall who wrote this)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
I agree that the sense of reward when you learn to fix something yourself is great, and you know your vehicle and feel more self empowered.
Im okay with motorbikes, even better with boats, but am feeling this one is a bit on the outer edge of my comfort zone. Some good weather might help me feel braver.

Ive read a lot about how to do it. This forum is a gold mine, although a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing sometimes.

I guess i just want to be as sure as i can be that im on the right track and that the time, money and effort will give me the result i want.
I kinda stumbled onto the Saab thing but am a real convert. Love the car and the way it feels so am going to borrow my neighbours jack and get stuck in.

Anyone know the best place to buy engine mounts for a 1997 saab 900s convert? Im in the UK, but does it matter.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
^^^ LOL. :lol:

US Auto Parts is one of the most inexpensive distributors and they have not just one motor mount (for instance) but more than several to choose from with different prices and manufacturers.

http://www.usautoparts.net/

Since you are across the pond, you could take what you find there and try to source it in the UK with the mfr name and/or stock number.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a mobile mechanic look under the hood to fix the tensioner recently.
He gave the engine a push with his hand and seemed to think the mounts are ok.

Now im even more confused

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I had a mobile mechanic look under the hood to fix the tensioner recently.
He gave the engine a push with his hand and seemed to think the mounts are ok.

Now im even more confused
This is NOT a good test, unless this man is extraordinarily strong.
When worn, the mounts sag, the engine's oil pan may hit the subframe.
The mounts are more complex and much softer, so they will not last as long as the car in many cases.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh I though this was something else. Thread Hijack-when my engine is cold, and I get to around 2k rpm it does this thing, like if you let the clutch out at the wrong rpm and it goes "wwwa wa wa wa" you know, it makes your head bobble forward and back and makes you look like a noob. This happens long after I engage 2nd (which is smooth). Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking TPS, cause the car gets confused at the boundary between fuel-cut-on-enginebrake to very minor throttle input.
-Cm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well mines sorted, was the rear gearbox mount.

Took about 20 minutes start to finish to change, dead easy, just need a socket wrench with an extension and a jack and a couple of axle stands.... The stands to hold the car in the air and the jack to lift the engine off of the mount.

Don't bother with 2nd hand though buy a new one. I got one that looked good from a scrappy and although it was better it weren't perfect. Got a new one and voila, hardly any stick movement when I engage the clutch!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now that is interesting

It sounds like this could be a useful thing to check.
Unfortunately my car is in near terminal diagnosis at the moment, and is making this sound!

Click here for mp3

Theres nothing like a really big problem to make a small problem seem insignificant:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts