SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok,

I have a 2006 Sportcombi 2.0T. I love how the car drives.

Anyway, my mpg has nosedived in roughly the past month. I used to get Highway mpg in above 30mpg and as high as 37mpg at times. City was 28-26 MPG. Now it is 26 ish highway and 20-22 city. Baffled by what has happened.

Confessions:

- I have skipped the 60k service so far due to cashflow issues. Currently sitting at 67k.

- Recently swapped over to winter tires- but have used them for 2 winters with little effects on mpg.

- Car has always had a slightly irregular idle - but with no effect on mpg.

- Yes it is colder out, but normally I have NOT noticed this kind of drop in winter.

Ideas:

- I changed the air filter - NO HELP.

- I hear a low roaring sound that gets louder the faster the car goes. However, I think it is just the studded snows.

- Change Sparkplugs perhaps? But, engine seems to start and run reliably.

- Big thing is nothing seems to have changed with the car except MPG.

- I have seen the Secondary Air Pump threads, but those seem to focus on the 2003s.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tyres / tires will have a bit of an effect on economy but not the 20% your seeing.
I'd take a look at the lambda sensor...only ever had to change 1 out myself on my old 900T years ago at 130K miles and it made some difference...no just in economy but in smoothness.
The roaring your hearing is an odd one...perhaps the CAT in the exhaust is getting clogged or you have a crack in the turbo intact pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
typo

oops typo

- Yes it is colder out, but normally I have NOT noticed this kind of drop in winter before.

What is the Lambda sensor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roaring Sound

I will ask my mechanic about the CAT and Turbo Inlet crack ideas.

The sound is not audible when sitting still, even if you rev up the engine, so I think it may just be the noise of the studded tires rolling.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you serious? You are getting 26-28 in city? I have 10 SC, I only get 18-19 in city. I do stop a lot of light in city driving. The window sticker state city is 19-21. When I drive on highway. if I stay 65-70, I would get 25-27. Once it hit 75-80, there is another story. Do you have 6 speed or auto? I have automatic.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ok,

I have a 2006 Sportcombi 2.0T. I love how the car drives.

Anyway, my mpg has nosedived in roughly the past month. I used to get Highway mpg in above 30mpg and as high as 37mpg at times. City was 28-26 MPG. Now it is 26 ish highway and 20-22 city. Baffled by what has happened.

Confessions:

- I have skipped the 60k service so far due to cashflow issues. Currently sitting at 67k.

- Recently swapped over to winter tires- but have used them for 2 winters with little effects on mpg.

- Car has always had a slightly irregular idle - but with no effect on mpg.

- Yes it is colder out, but normally I have NOT noticed this kind of drop in winter.

Ideas:

- I changed the air filter - NO HELP.

- I hear a low roaring sound that gets louder the faster the car goes. However, I think it is just the studded snows.

- Change Sparkplugs perhaps? But, engine seems to start and run reliably.

- Big thing is nothing seems to have changed with the car except MPG.

- I have seen the Secondary Air Pump threads, but those seem to focus on the 2003s.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
I would change the spark plugs, 67k is an awful long time to go with never having changed plugs (im anal though, I change mine about 3-4 times a year. however I also don't use the platinum laser plugs), also the winter months is when they swap over to a higher ethanol content in the gasoline usually, while helping to lower pollution it also has the side effect of less gas mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A bad wheel bearing perhaps!

Looks like the culprit may be a bad right front wheel bearing. As it is going bad its causing greater drag, hence mpg drop. The car has been pulling to the right anyway!!!

We'll see what they find tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mpgs

Yes I have gotten 31-37 highway mpg and 26-28mpg city in Colorado previously.

I have found the 93 does very well if you drive it right. It is a 5spd Manual. I coast on passes, hills, and downhill slopes when it is convenient.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts