SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted about my newfound glory, an '03 SE Vert. Sadly, my partner, who did SEE the car, never had a chance to actually go drive it with me before I picked it up.

Last night we had a friend over and decided to all test it out. Long story short, my partner felt like a sardine. He IS a big guy, but to make matters worse, he has a very tall torso. He's 6'2" and 330#. He was fine with a bit cramped fit around his middle, and expected that, but with the top down he was eye to eye with the top of the windshield. That was with the seat bottom ALLL the way down apparently.

So while I'm extremely happy to have a car that I love again, it is quickly making me sad that I can't ride him around in it. I remember him saying when he looked at the Viggen seats (snug fit buckets compared to the regular ones) he commented 'I will never fit into those dinky things...'. Feel like I should have listened now! ;oops:

He normally drives a BMW 740iL, but has wanted a convertible again for a while (he used to have an '03 Sebring Limited) and wanted a 325 or a 330Ci, and I'm wondering if it's just the way the Saab seats sit are just really high? I know they were in my c900, felt like you were sitting in a truck.

I plan to keep this car a long time, and he plans to get smaller but if we ever look for a more roomy convertible, what options are there? My mind goes back to the Sebring but it really was not well built... There's the Volvo C70 which is gorgeous with the hardtop, just... don't know. :roll:

I myself am not tiny, but I'm not as big as he is either, and I'm more evenly proportioned with long legs. Are there any other larger people driving these cars that have had a similar problem or am I just SOL? :cry:

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This is a problem.
One of the reasons for so many fuel gulping trucks on our roads.
And now, the so-called "crossover"....
The 9-3OG is based on a "too small" Opel.
Its the same as my 900NG.
The original Saabs used wood shims under the seat; remove these and the #330 man would be comfy, but these cars were too narrow! The width was based on a Model T Ford:cheesy::x, which may have beeen based on a horse !!
Only an attitude change can fix this and so many other problems.
OG = old generation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't think the seat height and width is unique to these cars. I test drove an E90 3 series a few months ago and from what I remember the seat height and width was similar to the 9-3. If it was more spacious it wasn't by much. Certainly not like the 7 series (my boss is on the tall side, probably 6'6" or so and also drives a 7). For the most part, convertibles are sportier cars and will naturally be on the smaller side.

Thinking of convertibles that might be more spacious.

Mercedes SL
BMW 6 series convertible
Jeep Wrangler

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mercedes SL
BMW 6 series convertible
Jeep Wrangler
Sexy... sexy... annnd... what's the lumberjack doing here?!

All jokes aside, I love Jeeps but a CJ or anything of the nature isn't going to fit the bill!

At the time we had the Sebring, we used it really as our family car. I had an old AE92 Corolla GT-S at the time. I usually have the non-family car, but I was trying to at least have something fun with consideration for 4 average to large size adults, but the 9-3 really feels like a sardine can with more than 2 people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny thing about the original 9-3 is the front seats are relatively close together, with the space placed instead between the seats and the doors. And the pedals are too close, so that a tall person moving the seat to accommodate this would find the steering wheel and shifter somewhat far away. Worst of all, of course, is the inability to straighten the left leg, due to intrusion of the wheel arch.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
As far as size goes, i'm 6'0 and weight about 210 lbs and if i were much bigger (taller esp) i'd have a problem with the size of the car. Not to toot my own horn, but i am pretty fit and if i had much more girth i feel as though the seats would definatly be too narrow - i kinda feel that way now. As it were, my size 15 feet don't fit all that well in ANY car.:cheesy:

Op, you could try (test drive) a late model 9-3 convert. I heard the reviews were pretty good in the class as far as both passenger and trunk space are concerned.

Larger Roomy convertible suggestions:
MG
Triumph
Fiat
Miata
MR-2
- just to name a few...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 6'8" with a 36" inseam and a 15 shoe; a 340#'er.

My 99 is my DD.

I've gotten used to it. I've always liked driving the smallest car I could get into, though.

I almost always wear a driving style shoe or Piloti's; if I wear Nike's I usually clutch with the side of my left foot.

My car was owned by a VERY height challenged lady who had the wheel pushed all the way in. I puled it out 3 months ago, and just the other day, got it out another 1". My right leg is fine; but my left usually snakes its way around the pedals to the floor - or restng on the wheel hump as oppsed to the useless and slanted dead pedal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm 6'8" with a 36" inseam and a 15 shoe; a 340#'er.

My 99 is my DD.

I've gotten used to it. I've always liked driving the smallest car I could get into, though.

I almost always wear a driving style shoe or Piloti's; if I wear Nike's I usually clutch with the side of my left foot.

My car was owned by a VERY height challenged lady who had the wheel pushed all the way in. I puled it out 3 months ago, and just the other day, got it out another 1". My right leg is fine; but my left usually snakes its way around the pedals to the floor - or restng on the wheel hump as oppsed to the useless and slanted dead pedal.
Man, I feel sorry for you. I wear an 11 and MY foot sometimes get stuck, I cna't imagine a sive 15!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
6' 3", 240lb and size 12 (feet!). Drivers seat no trouble. Although the 3 door NG had more room than the 5 door 9-3 with heated Turbo seats. I have been described as XXXFB. To which I respond XXXFO :cheesy:

My lad is 6' 5" (lord knows how many lb) and size 13 (UK). He manages to get in the passenger side OK. Just. Imagine Triple H except with spades for hands and slightly more Neanderthal :roll: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts